Page 1 of 2

Ark Almighty ??

Posted: June 6th, 2007, 1:29 pm
by Billy n NC
got this link in an email from Worhiphouse media


http://www.arkalmighty.com/


Glanced at it but not in depth.

See my post

Posted: June 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm
by Pastor Gary
Billy, see my post on the Evan Almighty review -- the website you reference is a spin-off of the movie, sort of a "random acts of Kindness" pay-it-forward, good deeds facilitation site.

Posted: June 7th, 2007, 1:55 pm
by KiMmY
Jeff and I got to pre-screen that movie here in Nashville. It was a thing for youth pastors through the Christian radio station here. Family friendly. No cussing. No sexual content. A few off color comments but other than that it was great.

Posted: June 7th, 2007, 5:00 pm
by Jennifer Smith
Was the movie reverent? Of God, I mean.

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 3:29 am
by MrDanger
Yep.

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 8:32 am
by Jennifer Smith
Well, that's good to know! We had ordered the kit and got it in the mail yesterday. It included books and resource materials, a big banner, t-shirts, a hat and promotional items. We don't want to promote it yet though until we know more about what it is! I like their idea of sharing resources, like a Craigs List for churches. :)

The previews remind me a little bit of the "Oh, God" movies with George Burns. I'm not offering any comment on those, except that they left something to be desired! :)

Jennifer

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 12:08 pm
by Pastor Gary
While the film does, in my view, treat the God-character with respect, it is a comedy. It is not a "Christian movie" and should be approached as a Hollywood attempt to be faithful to the Noah/flood/ark concept in a modern context. Don't expect Charlton Heston standing in a beam of beatific light with harps and violins. Think "comedy." There are animals (the kids in the audience went crazy laughing) and at least one pile of poo for laughs; if that offends anyone they likely don't own pets! :lol:

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 7:16 pm
by Jennifer Smith
One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?

Forgive me for being so skeptical.. but after all it is Hollywood we're dealing with! I enjoy a comedy, but I wouldn't want to laugh at God's expense!
I don't mind a pile of poo, if it is for laughs. :)

No conflict

Posted: June 8th, 2007, 7:33 pm
by Pastor Gary
Jennifer Smith wrote:One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?


I am not sure why you find that a problem. ??? The 450 foot length is pretty commonly accepted:

"Genesis 6:14-18. The deliverance was to be by means of an ark, a flat-bottomed rectangular vessel 450 long, 75 wide, and 45 high, with a displacement of some 43,300 tons."
(Merrill F. Unger, Archaeology and the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1954, pp. 59-60)

Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!

Posted: June 9th, 2007, 12:07 am
by deb
PLUS - it had more than one level "...with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Re: No conflict

Posted: June 9th, 2007, 4:41 pm
by RamboPreacher
Pastor Gary wrote:...
Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!
eating each other wouldn't be a problem for God, especially if you followed some creationists theories that say that all animals were herbivorous prior to the flood. :)

Re: No conflict

Posted: June 10th, 2007, 12:00 pm
by Jennifer Smith
Pastor Gary wrote:
Jennifer Smith wrote:One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?


I am not sure why you find that a problem. ??? The 450 foot length is pretty commonly accepted:

"Genesis 6:14-18. The deliverance was to be by means of an ark, a flat-bottomed rectangular vessel 450 long, 75 wide, and 45 high, with a displacement of some 43,300 tons."
(Merrill F. Unger, Archaeology and the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1954, pp. 59-60)

Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!


I just thought it interesting they mentioned the number of the species.
It doesn't cause doubt in my mind, but I wonder about the average person who hears those two statements alone!

The cubit may have been bigger than ours since it was based on the length of the arm and Creation scientists believe that people were larger then. Also (i said this on the other thread) species is not the same as "kinds" either. There are many variations in each "kind" but they did not all need to be on the ark!

Many of the animals could have been "infants" too-- they would sleep more and take up less space. :)

I don't have a problem with them mentioning it.. but it did strike me as funny!
As I said, I'm still skeptical. I'm not about to make friends with Hollywood or help them sell tickets to their "big movie" :D until I know who and what is behind it and know that there is something of redeeming value to it! But that's just me. :)

Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:

Posted: June 10th, 2007, 12:22 pm
by teach
we are doing the ark almighty thing at my church. I think it is great. Because of it, I will be able to get help moving some furniture!

wendy k

Re: No conflict

Posted: June 10th, 2007, 12:44 pm
by TW
Jennifer Smith wrote:Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:



What a novel idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:


TW

Re: No conflict

Posted: June 11th, 2007, 2:34 am
by Mike Vande
TW wrote:
Jennifer Smith wrote:Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:



What a novel idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:


TW


Well, we'ver never done it that way before... 8)