Billy: The Early Years

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

User avatar
dolfan
Established Member
Posts: 8016
Joined: March 17th, 2004, 1:25 pm
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Billy: The Early Years

Postby dolfan » October 10th, 2008, 11:37 am

Have y'all heard about this movie? (Maybe it's on the Entertainment forum .... I didn't look.) Wow! Robby Benson directing a biography of Graham's early years. Some rather blast-from-the-past names in it: Martin Landau, Lindsay Wagner, Jennifer O'Neill (Scanners was on TV last night late, what a coincidence). Looks like it could be a good one. I read his autobiography, "Just As I Am". Long, detailed, lots to tell. I hope this does well.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

User avatar
Pianoman
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 382
Joined: May 10th, 2004, 10:56 am
Location: USA,Missouri

Re: Billy: The Early Years

Postby Pianoman » October 10th, 2008, 12:18 pm

dolfan wrote:Have y'all heard about this movie?


Hadn't heard about the movie - but when I saw the title -
first thing I assumed was that you had some pictures
or stories of Billy n NC in his younger years (hot pink
pants or something of that sort!) :lol:

I'm really glad it's Friday!
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

crispfin
Hey, hey, hey
Posts: 1870
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 8:00 am
Location: USA,Texas

Re: Billy: The Early Years

Postby crispfin » October 10th, 2008, 12:21 pm

dolfan wrote:Have y'all heard about this movie? (Maybe it's on the Entertainment forum .... I didn't look.) Wow! Robby Benson directing a biography of Graham's early years. Some rather blast-from-the-past names in it: Martin Landau, Lindsay Wagner, Jennifer O'Neill (Scanners was on TV last night late, what a coincidence). Looks like it could be a good one. I read his autobiography, "Just As I Am". Long, detailed, lots to tell. I hope this does well.

Haven't heard of it, but I think a Graham bio pic could be very interesting. I hope they do it well.

deb
Da Bomb!
Posts: 837
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 8:34 am
Location: USA,Virginia

Here's the link...

Postby deb » October 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm


User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Re: Billy: The Early Years

Postby Billy n NC » October 10th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Pianoman wrote:
dolfan wrote:Have y'all heard about this movie?


Hadn't heard about the movie - but when I saw the title -
first thing I assumed was that you had some pictures
or stories of Billy n NC in his younger years (hot pink
pants or something of that sort!) :lol:

I'm really glad it's Friday!



WWHeewwww :lol: I hope you do not have some photos when you came threw Fayetteville in the early 70's...
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

crispfin
Hey, hey, hey
Posts: 1870
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 8:00 am
Location: USA,Texas

Postby crispfin » October 10th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Christianity Today only gave it 2 stars in its review:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies ... billy.html

ErinNicole
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 115
Joined: August 30th, 2003, 4:56 am
Location: USA,Illinois
Contact:

Postby ErinNicole » October 12th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Billy Graham's children are divided on the movie. Franklin says it is not a completely accurate depiction. At least, that's what I read in Newsweek.

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » October 13th, 2008, 7:55 am

Is it true the film's original title was Billy Begins?

Billy actually once lived in the building now known as Medlin Hall (I spent almost a year there) at Lee University when he attended Bob Jones University.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
soulsearcher
What's next?
Posts: 3375
Joined: August 29th, 2006, 5:35 am
Location: USA,Florida

Postby soulsearcher » October 19th, 2008, 11:10 am

My wife and I saw it yesterday. Very moving, but at times "cheesy." Hated the movie soundtrack.

The theater was practically empty - about 25 people. My brother-in-law went to see it when it debuted and said there were 4 people in that auditorium. What a shame. A story of the the greatest evangelist of all time.... with little or no support.

Someone brought out the fact that the movie has virtually had no advertisement.

What were the producers thinking?


Return to “Entertainment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Login  •  Register