Page 1 of 1

RENT - The Movie

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 2:18 pm
by Paully_44
Rent

Anyone else heard of this movie? My wife & saw the play as it toured the country a few years back. My first experience with seeing a Broadway musical and I loved it. Not sure if the movie can do the play justice. The soundtrack from the play was pretty good also.

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 2:28 pm
by Sherry
I've been looking forward to the movie....the previews look great!

I like this song…

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 2:42 pm
by Pastor Gary
Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 2:49 pm
by dolfan
I'd like to see the play. I saw Phantom of the Opera in Atlanta years ago, and when the movie came out ... well. I'm sure Rent will be a good film, but the experience is just so different on stage.

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 4:36 pm
by Shellie
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here.

I went to see the play with a girlfriend of mine. Her husband had won some free tickets from a radio show. Signs on the door announced that because of the nature and content of the play minors were not allowed and a full refund for the tickets could be gotten at a ticket window.

Still, I'm not a prude and thought I'd see it anyway.

I noticed a LOT of same sex couples filing around before we were called to our seats.

Before the intermission, my girlfriend and I were BOTH uncomfortable at the offensiveness of this play. We walked out about 30 to 40 minutes into it.

Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw? The one that used the words "G D" quite a few times, promoted a lot of sex, and mocked the virgin birth and abortion?

No idea

Posted: November 9th, 2005, 4:50 pm
by Pastor Gary
Shellie wrote:Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw? The one that used the words "G D" quite a few times, promoted a lot of sex, and mocked the virgin birth and abortion?


I have no idea... I have never seen the play or read the story, I have only heard pieces of the one song I referenced in a TV promo. If the content is as you have described it, I have zero interest in seeing the movie.

Posted: November 10th, 2005, 9:55 am
by dolfan
Ditto. I didn't know that, either. I just know it got a lot of awards and stuff. Something else I'll never miss!

Posted: November 10th, 2005, 10:25 am
by Paully_44
Shellie wrote:Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw?


I think so.

Posted: November 10th, 2005, 8:19 pm
by Sherry
All I knew about it was that the music was awesome! I didn't know much about the storyline other than it was about struggling artists and I think one of them has AIDS. I remember hearing that Rent was to bring awareness to AIDS, but I wasn't sure how far they went with it.

Personally, I'll see it just because I want to see what all the hoopla is about and then I can form my own opinion. Besides....the music is really good. :wink:

Posted: November 18th, 2005, 5:37 pm
by ErinNicole
I've seen RENT twice...once on Broadway (I sat in the front row) and once in Chicago. For those of you who want to know a little more about it, it's a remake of an old opera called La Boheme. La Boheme was about some young artists living in France struggling with tuberculosis. Jonathan Larson updated it to young artists living in NYC struggling with AIDS and called it RENT. Larson died tragically before the play ever made it to Broadway, it was still just at the NY Theatre Workshop. That's part of what makes RENT such a good play, even if it has some vulgarity. The main message is "No day but today" meaning live each moment as your last. I wish it did not have the underlying gay theme, but that's the way he chose to write it. I choose to focus on the main heterosexual love story. There's another pretty important point about dignity and dying. Since several of the characters have HIV, its a reality that at some point they're going to die. If I had to give it a rating, I'd say its PG-13. It has some vulgarity and sex in it, but vulgarity and sex are in about 98% of the movies out there. I've been waiting for them to make this a movie since 2001. The movie also has most of the original Broadway cast which is incredible. I think only two characters are new. I'm looking forward to it.

-Erin

Posted: November 19th, 2005, 7:37 am
by Sherry
Thanks Erin ....I am going to see it, I'll let you know what I think after I do. :wink: I saw more previews at the show the other night....it does look really good.