The Great New Church Search

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

User avatar
EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4706
Joined: September 5th, 2003, 5:05 pm
Location: USA,Missouri
Contact:

The Great New Church Search

Postby EagerBeaver » September 10th, 2008, 1:58 pm

So after a ton of prayer and rumination I have come to a conclusion that the church I currently attend (James River Assembly in Ozark, MO) is just not a good fit for me.

(If you need the reasons why, you can see them on my website)

Basically I am really not adapting well to the megachurch way of life as I have been raised COGOP through and through, and really miss the sense of community and real love felt in a smaller church. Plus, believe it or not, I'm more of a minimalist and traditionalist when it comes to church -- less is more, I'm not into the flashy announcements and everyone up on stage wearing the latest trends and trying to project a good "image."

Now here's the thing, I don't have any gripes against JRA but I just don't fit well there and I don't feel led to continue. But where do I go from here? Do I go back to my local COGOP and try to continue where I left off (I'd be perfectly fine with starting over actually) or do I search for a new church, even though I'm worn out and really don't want to have to do everything involved with searching for a new church. I don't want to become a church hopper that starts up these ghost friendships where you know the people for awhile and then you never really see em outside of church at all.

The only thing that matters at this part is getting my soul fed and involving myself in a place that really needs someone to serve. JRA says they need workers and I don't doubt that for a fact but I believe they're siphoning off people from other churches whose service in a smaller church would have a greater impact. This fact leads me to believe I sold out by attending a megachurch and I'm kinda ashamed of that.

I am kinda at a crossroads and I guess I posted this thread to gauge some opinions and get some counsel on the situation. Prayers would be appreciated as well!
Chris Brewer - My Website

User avatar
Jennifer Smith
Moderator
Posts: 3745
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am
Location: USA,Indiana

Postby Jennifer Smith » September 10th, 2008, 2:09 pm

We are kind of in the same place right now... every time we visit First Assembly, the pastor takes us out to eat, :) which is so kind, and completely appreciated by my husband! :lol: (I think it is good for them to get togeher and they have some things in common.)
But, we want to obey God's will first and foremost. I like to think I'm past "style" issues but I guess that is a part of all us... The main thing is to obey God's will, I believe He does have a place for each one of us... finding it can be the hard part, but if we ask, seek, and we're open it will become apparent to us. I will pray for you in your search.
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

Karen
Whoa!!
Whoa!!
Posts: 496
Joined: April 10th, 2006, 10:25 am
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby Karen » September 10th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Sometimes, I think that God wants to be alone with us, with the rest of the world and influences shut out so that we can only hear him. If you pray and seek his guidance, he will lead you to the place he wants you to be when the time is right. Just pray, don't be in a hurry or stess about it.
Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints; those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Y’shua.

Revelation 22:12-13
“And behold, I am coming quickly, and my reward is with me, to give to every one according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. Blessed are those who do His Commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.”

User avatar
dolfan
Established Member
Posts: 8016
Joined: March 17th, 2004, 1:25 pm
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Postby dolfan » September 10th, 2008, 6:27 pm

You haven't given this a lick of thought, have you Beav? :wink: :lol:

We're in the same boat. Hang in there and do what you know is right. It'll open up in time.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

User avatar
EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4706
Joined: September 5th, 2003, 5:05 pm
Location: USA,Missouri
Contact:

Postby EagerBeaver » September 10th, 2008, 6:44 pm

dolfan wrote:You haven't given this a lick of thought, have you Beav? :wink: :lol:

We're in the same boat. Hang in there and do what you know is right. It'll open up in time.


Wanna co-"pastor" a new church? :D
Chris Brewer - My Website

jessea
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 149
Joined: April 9th, 2004, 3:02 am
Location: O'Fallon, MO

Postby jessea » September 11th, 2008, 2:25 am

Beav,

I don't know what the circumstance was that lead you to leave your local COGOP. I would give this advice not matter what church you had left. I suggest going back to your local COGOP and see how you are received.

If you are welcomed back, that doesn't mean you walk right into what you were doing before, but the people show a genuine happiness to have you back, it would give you a chance to make sure that what ever ministry opportunity may have been there was not prematurely aborted when you left.

I have seen people leave our church over the years just before there was breakthrough of some kind regarding ministry or relationships.

I've come to realize that people don't quit churches, they quit people. Like I said, I don't know your circumstances, but that my 2 cents worth. I am not saying people should never leave a church. If there is obvious disregard for the truth, then I would leave.

I just believe that one of the biggest test of faith, is a local body of believers being long suffering enough to grow together. Often times, it takes longer for Godly character to catch up with people's talents or gifts.

Shepherd
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 112
Joined: September 15th, 2006, 6:30 pm
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby Shepherd » September 11th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I could suggest the end of your search for a friendly church. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Login  •  Register