TV Guardian

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

What about TV Guardian

I use it and love it!
10
43%
I've heard of it but can't aford it
3
13%
I've head of it but don't think it's appropriate
2
9%
What is TV Guardian?
8
35%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
darylscook
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 583
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 11:33 am
Location: USA,Mississippi

TV Guardian

Postby darylscook » June 30th, 2003, 8:44 am

I was just curious about the proliferation of TV Guardian. About 3 years ago we purchased one. Last fall I moved twice and mine stopped working. It only took a couple of weeks for us to just stop everything and go get another one. For the last two Christmases we have given out about 7 or 8 I think. Honestly, we love it! And, no I do not sell or get paid by them. We've gotten most of ours from the local Family Christian Stores. Although, the first one we ordered off the internet.

The profanity thread got my attention and I was wondering how many used them. On one of our Friday Night Youth nights, I took my projector and VCR and my TV Guardian to church to watch, "A walk to remember" it was a great movie, but I was glad that I had my TVG hooked up.

Please share your thoughts.

Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Need more choices

Postby Pastor Gary » June 30th, 2003, 8:59 am

How about...
"I don't hear any profanity on "Trading Spaces" and Discovery Channel, so I don't need one."

I watch some "regular" TV -- I was hooked on Survivor and American Idol, and have watched Law & Order a good bit until they added so many spin-offs, but mostly FoxNews, TLC and Discovery.

One place I could really use a TVG is that I really enjoy good stand-up comics but it is almost impossiblle to find one who has a squeaky-clean act and doesn't use bad language! Why is cussing supposed to be funny?? (I don't get it.)
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

One more option on Poll..

Postby Billy n NC » June 30th, 2003, 9:17 am

Have heard of it. Want to get. Just not yet.

That would have been my pick.


Have you seen this.

Sanyo DVD Player/VCR Combo DVW-6000
its at walmart for $148.00
It has Gaurdian built in..

Wal-Mart.com link

Don't know how good it is .but..

That is on my list of purchase's one day.

Billy n NC

User avatar
Brenda
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2196
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 5:56 am
Location: USA,Michigan

Postby Brenda » June 30th, 2003, 9:42 am

Gary
Why is cussing supposed to be funny?? (I don't get it.)



The reason you don't get it, Gary, is because you are not of the world.
If you got it, I would be worried about you. :shock: :)
Anything that offends the spirit thats within you, will let your spirit know.
Jesus said they are in the world but not of the world.
The things I use to enjoy I no longer enjoy and the things I use to do, I no longer do.
If a man is in Christ he is a new creation.

Well... hear I go preaching to a preacher!! :lol:

p.s. Gary, hubby says to watch Sinbad, he's clean.
B.R.
________________________________________
On the Cross he was crucified, in great sorrow, He died. The giver of life for you and me.

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Sinbad

Postby Pastor Gary » June 30th, 2003, 10:06 am

I agree... I saw him on some comedy special where he did like an hour or more and not an off-color-joke or cuss word in the entire act. And he was FUNNY!

I later read an interview where he stated that he wanted to be able to bring his kids or his Momma to the show and not be embarrassed. There are a few others, but not many.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

dbserv
Hey, hey, hey
Posts: 1570
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 7:23 pm
Location: USA,California
Contact:

Check this out

Postby dbserv » June 30th, 2003, 11:42 am

http://www.cleancomedians.com/


I once hired one of their comedians to come and do a performance as a sholarship fund raiser in Willits.

It was awesome!

We cleared $2,000.00 for our scholarship fund!

Everyone had a great time that was funny and CLEAN!!!

They aren't all Christians, but the one we happened to hire was. We didn't specify that, but he was.
God Bless You

Dan Bagley

User avatar
LastDaysRevivalMinistries
Needs Decaf
Posts: 162
Joined: April 25th, 2003, 5:21 pm

Postby LastDaysRevivalMinistries » June 30th, 2003, 1:28 pm

Our Kids are grown and gone so we don't need one. I watch for the most part, TLC, ISPN, Fox News, and did somebody say FOOTBALL! YES!! And NASCAR. by the way, the Browns and the Blue Duce are my favorite 8) .
He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.Lk.11:23 A ministry where the Anointing makes the difference.

User avatar
Messianic Believer
Needs a hobby
Posts: 84
Joined: May 29th, 2003, 5:02 pm
Location: USA,Texas
Contact:

Postby Messianic Believer » June 30th, 2003, 4:03 pm

:o GO BROWNS GO!!!!!! :o
With Messiah Y'shua, we have access to His salvation.
With the Torah, we have access to His wisdom.


Visit us at Lamp of Messiah Hebraic Ministries.

User avatar
Joey
Da Bomb!
Posts: 910
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:16 pm
Location: USA,Kentucky

Postby Joey » July 1st, 2003, 1:00 pm

:idea: Was in Wal-mart the other day and saw a DVD player with the included guardian for $75. Basically, it recognizes the foul language and mutes it during that section (most of the time that is - sometimes you still get blessed!)

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Is that different

Postby Billy n NC » July 1st, 2003, 1:18 pm

Is that any different than the regular Gaurdian.??

Or does the Gaurdian work some other way..

I thought it actually looked at the closed caption words and did its thing..


Just wondering??

Billy n NC

User avatar
darylscook
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 583
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 11:33 am
Location: USA,Mississippi

Re: Is that different

Postby darylscook » July 2nd, 2003, 5:17 am

Billy n NC wrote:Is that any different than the regular Gaurdian.??

Or does the Gaurdian work some other way..

I thought it actually looked at the closed caption words and did its thing..


Just wondering??

Billy n NC



Billy

You are right, it works with sychonized closed captioning. And when an unacceptable word or phrase would be used it does it thing. It's great. Of course it depends on the correct typed closed captioning so it does not always work.

It doesn't work on Live TV shows because they don't have the sychronized closed captioning. That is the reason it also doesn't work on commercials or Football games. We don't watch much TV but when my wife and I want to watch a movie; It is well worth the $$$$.

My brother bought a DVD/VCR combo player with a built in TV Guardian. It works the same way, But only works on the DVD. Not TV coming in or the VHS Tapes played. I like my plain ole one b/c I just run everything through it. I have to move it to moderate when I listen to preachers and some of My daughters Psalty, etc. tapes so that it will allow God and Hell and similiar words through.

It is definately a blessing.

Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor

Pearl Church

The Church of God of Prophecy

Pearl, MS

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Is that different

Postby Pastor Bill » July 2nd, 2003, 6:20 am

darylscook wrote:I have to move it to moderate when I listen to preachers and some of My daughters Psalty, etc. tapes so that it will allow God and Hell and similiar words through.


Says alot about today's society when "God" is seen mostly as a swear word"

User avatar
pastorables
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4748
Joined: February 9th, 2004, 10:01 am
Location: USA, Alabama
Contact:

Postby pastorables » August 24th, 2004, 7:48 pm

I have had my TV Guardian for years. I agree with Daryl that it is well worth the investment. The best deal can be found on eBay and the standard Guardian seems to be the better investment since it will guard in a broader capacity that the DVD/Guardian combo units.

pastorables

User avatar
EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4706
Joined: September 5th, 2003, 5:05 pm
Location: USA,Missouri
Contact:

Postby EagerBeaver » August 24th, 2004, 9:14 pm

Billy--

You referenced the Sanyo DVD player with TVG built into it up above....my mom and dad back home have that and think it is awesome.
Chris Brewer - My Website

User avatar
VolPastor
Needs a hobby
Posts: 94
Joined: March 1st, 2004, 7:28 pm
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby VolPastor » August 25th, 2004, 12:33 am

We bought our first TV Guardian several years ago and we have been very pleased with it. We now have two TV Guardians and one ProtecTV.

They are very similar, but the TV Guardian gives substitute words on the screen and the ProtecTV simply mutes the profanity.

There is another product that I recently discovered that allows you to cut out foul language, gore, and sex. You can pick one, two, or all three of these items. It is not based on closed captioning. It is software based. You can go to www.clearplay.com for more information.

VolPastor
VolPastor


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Login  •  Register