The Dixie Chicks?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Are you ready for the Dixie Chicks?

The Dixie Chicks are cool.
0
No votes
I'll never listen to the Quacks again.
19
48%
I would listen if they'd just shut up.
11
28%
Other.
10
25%
 
Total votes: 40

User avatar
rough_rider
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2251
Joined: September 9th, 2003, 4:15 am
Location: USA,Ohio

Postby rough_rider » May 27th, 2006, 12:48 pm

A Dixie Chick Takes It Back

05/22/2006 3:54 PM, E! Online
Joal Ryan

Natalie Maines isn't kidding when she sings, "I'm not ready to make nice."

In a new interview with Time magazine, posted online Sunday, the Dixie Chicks firebrand takes back the apology she extended to President Bush three years ago.

"I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President," Maines says in Time. "But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

In a bit of intentional timing, the interview is making headlines just as the Chicks' new album, Taking the Long Way, is hitting stores. Due out Tuesday, the collection is the country-raised outfit's first collection since Maines, 31, began wearing a bull's-eye for bashing Bush when his then-70 percent approval rating made the sport unfashionable.

In March 2003, on the eve of the U.S.-led Iraq invasion, Lone Star state native Maines told an audience at a Chicks concert in London, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

Days after the remark fired up talk radio lines, Maines issued a new one, apologizing for being "disrespectful": "I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect."

In Time, that follow-up statement is referred to as Maines' one regret from an incident, known by the group as "The Incident," that provoked death threats, a cold shoulder from some fans and boos from the Academy of Country Music Awards crowd.

"If people are going to ask me to apologize on who I am," Maines tells the magazine, "I don't know what to do about that. I can't change who I am."

To put a finer point on that point, the Chicks' first single from the new album was "Not Ready to Make Nice," basically the Time interview with country-pop accompaniment. Sample lyrics: "I'm not ready to make nice/I'm not ready to back down/I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time to go round and round and round."

The song stalled at No. 36 on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, the music-industry magazine reported Monday. The followup, "Everybody Knows," topped out at No. 50.

To be sure, the Chicks haven't looked to make nice with the country-music; on 60 Minutes, they talked about going for the adult contemporary crowd.

On Amazon.com, where Neil Young's anti-Bush album, Living with War, is a top album-seller, the Chicks' Taking the Long Way was the biggest-seller of all on Monday.

Since breaking out of their shell in the mid-1990s, the Dixie Chicks have sold 23.4 million albums, according to stats reported by Billboard. In Time, Maines bandmate Martie Maguire sounds as if she's looking for the sales, if not hits, to continue, controversy or no.

Says Maguire: "I'm not ready to fly coach."
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of
The King.
ImageImage . Image .Image

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4632
Joined: June 25th, 2004, 4:34 pm
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby Full Quiver » May 27th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I've got no use for him or his music, but apparently you just LOVE him Quiver.



hilarious!!! :lol:
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

DaJudge
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 3:33 am
Location: USA,Georgia

Postby DaJudge » May 27th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Jamais Vu wrote:The beatles were misquoted.


No, he wasn't misquoted. That is EXACTLY what he said. He came back later after there was a backlash from angry Christians and tried to explain away what he said.

User avatar
Jamais Vu
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 294
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 4:51 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby Jamais Vu » May 27th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Im not a big beatles fan....nor do i care the technicalities of john's religous beliefs,

BUT, his quote is so obviously taken out of context, i figured it would be worth mentioning. As stated here http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon, the quote gos:

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."


It is of my personal opinion that saying:

"We are bigger than Jesus." is different than

"We are more popular than Jesus now; I dont know which will go first....."

Is it not obvious he was talking about how quick and crazy the beatles became popular at that time, and not simply stating "The beatles are bigger and better than Jesus.".....? Maybe thats me though. Either way, i listen to music for the music, not to pay anyone's bills or to read about their personal life.

User avatar
Ginger
Whoa!!
Whoa!!
Posts: 476
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:44 pm
Location: N.C.

Postby Ginger » May 27th, 2006, 4:14 pm

[quote="

Either way, i listen to music for the music, not to pay anyone's bills or to read about their personal life.[/quote]

Doesn't buying their music help pay thier bills? :?
I can do all things through Christ!

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Postby scooter » May 30th, 2006, 3:20 am

Ginger wrote:[quote="

Either way, i listen to music for the music, not to pay anyone's bills or to read about their personal life.


Doesn't buying their music help pay thier bills? :?[/quote]

Response: It sure does.

I can not believe the solidarity amongst country fans on this issue.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Wide Open

Postby scooter » May 30th, 2006, 3:21 am

Has anyone heard the parody song. "Wide open faces"?
What we need here is a good revival! lol

DaJudge
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 3:33 am
Location: USA,Georgia

Re: Wide Open

Postby DaJudge » May 30th, 2006, 4:54 am

scooter wrote:Has anyone heard the parody song. "Wide open faces"?


:lol: :lol: No I haven't. Do you have a link to it?

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Re: Wide Open

Postby scooter » May 30th, 2006, 5:08 am

DaJudge wrote:
scooter wrote:Has anyone heard the parody song. "Wide open faces"?


:lol: :lol: No I haven't. Do you have a link to it?


Response: Can't find one but the tag was "Can't shut our" :lol: 8)
What we need here is a good revival! lol

User avatar
KiMmY
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 435
Joined: March 23rd, 2004, 9:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Dixie Chicks

Postby KiMmY » May 31st, 2006, 6:43 am

Gerald Creasy wrote:"That...That sounds like a Mexican Version of Rocky Horror Pictures Shows "Let's Do the Timewarp, Again!!!"

He burst out laughing in agreement.

That my friends, is something you NEVER want to hear.

The only thing I ever heard that even came close in retchedness was a slow Country and Western Version of "I'm on a Highway to Hell," with a fiddle!!!!!!!!!


I heard the Mexican version of Proud Mary at Monterey's in Clevegas. First off, the mexican version didn't even flow the same. They were trying to fit too many words into much too small a space. It was pretty funny. As for the Highway to Hell...was that Hayseed Dixie? They like to do bluegrass versions of all the ACDC songs. :)
"GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S SPATULA!!!"

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Postby Paully_44 » May 31st, 2006, 9:25 am

Debuts at #1

Doesn't appear that all the negative talk has hurt their album sales at all.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » May 31st, 2006, 9:56 am

Paully_44 wrote:Doesn't appear that all the negative talk has hurt their album sales at all.


I wouldn't say at all. The new CD is several hundred thousand behind what the last CD debuted at. I know at least a couple of those hundred thousand folks. :D
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Postby Paully_44 » May 31st, 2006, 10:16 am

DeWayneTN wrote:
Paully_44 wrote:Doesn't appear that all the negative talk has hurt their album sales at all.


I wouldn't say at all. The new CD is several hundred thousand behind what the last CD debuted at. I know at least a couple of those hundred thousand folks. :D


You're right. I didnt mean to say at all.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » May 31st, 2006, 10:21 am

In my opinion, it was pretty inevitable that they would hit #1 when it came out, because the media has been swirling about them (the media eats this stuff up), even putting them on the cover of Time. But I think the real test of this record will be if it has the longevity of their others. Even the Macarena guys hit #1. :-)

I have heard the single isn't doing nowhere near as well as expected and radio is still very important.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Postby scooter » June 8th, 2006, 7:36 am

What we need here is a good revival! lol


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Login  •  Register