COGOP Members ONLY on this one!

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Based upon the people I know in COGOP I believe the percentages "FOR" and "AGAINST" changing our position on Divorce and Remarriage are closest to:

100% AGAINST any change.
3
4%
90% AGAINST change / 10% FOR change.
5
7%
75% AGAINST change / 25% FOR change.
12
16%
50% AGAINST change / 50% FOR change.
9
12%
25% AGAINST change / 75% FOR change.
17
23%
10% AGAINST change / 90% FOR change.
13
18%
100% FOR any change.
14
19%
 
Total votes: 73

Super Muslim
Regular
Posts: 12
Joined: April 21st, 2004, 1:28 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Super Muslim » April 21st, 2004, 2:11 pm

Gerald Creasy wrote:
SUPER MUSLIM wrote:The spanish inquisition is my favorite resturant. It sure does give me gas though.....



It was my favorite Monty Python skit.



I hate snakes.
Divorced 9 times and anxiously awaiting the General Assembly. P.S. I love wrasslin'

Speak not one against another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother, or judges his brother, speaks against the law, and judges the law: but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law, but a judge. One only is the lawgiver and judge, even he who is able to save and to destroy: but who are you to judge your neighbor?” (Jas. 4:11-12).

jnsbray
Regular
Posts: 20
Joined: March 16th, 2004, 2:02 pm
Location: KY

Postby jnsbray » April 21st, 2004, 3:15 pm

I may not have my wording just as proper as need be, but I am refering to the "Woman at the well" I still have yet to receive scripture telling me that what you all are doing is right...

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » April 21st, 2004, 3:44 pm

jnsbray wrote:

I may not have my wording just as proper as need be, but I am refering to the "Woman at the well"


As proper as need be? Sister, you got two different stories and trying to make them one. That's more than improper, that's unlearned.


I still have yet to receive scripture telling me that what you all are doing is right...


Obviously, from your not knowing the difference between the Samaritan woman at the well and the Good Samaritan, scripture thrown your way wouldn't do you much good.

You wouldn't receive scripture if it bit you in the butt.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

jnsbray
Regular
Posts: 20
Joined: March 16th, 2004, 2:02 pm
Location: KY

Postby jnsbray » April 21st, 2004, 4:29 pm

Maybe you should enlighten me with the scripture I have asked for then...
Proove that you are educated enough to give me the scriptures I have asked for...
The Divorce and remarriage topic still should note even be entered into question for being changed into the church so membership could be allowed because it is a statement of letting adultry and fornication in as well.
Maybe next will be drinking and gambling.

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » April 21st, 2004, 4:36 pm

Maybe next will be drinking and gambling.


Maybe next will be letting people teach BTI that don't know simple childhood bible stories.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

User avatar
badNova
Regular
Posts: 16
Joined: April 17th, 2004, 5:11 pm
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee

Postby badNova » April 21st, 2004, 5:55 pm

Really?

You view The Spanish inquisition as Moving Closer to a Biblical view on a subject?


You've established yourself well.


Explain to me How The Spanish Inquisition was Moving Closer to A Biblical View



The Inquisitions was a tribunal by the Roman Catholic Church that was activated by the Pope (Innocent III) in Rome to root out heretics. It was a move to purify the nation of heresy in order to persuade it's inhabitants to be in line with their view of not only religion but also the proper biblical views. This movement spread throughout central and western Europe and eventually into Spain by the 1400's. It was a movement that lasted for hundreds of years with sporadic inquisitions led by different Roman Catholic leaders and enforced by the Torquemada. All done in the name of God and what they felt was God's will, at least that is how the Roman Catholic Church portrayed it, but as I'm sure you know, their motivations ran a little deeper than that. I would call the bloody results of this movement pretty negative.
Perhaps the flesh will dread the heavy sword,....the capital punishment of the flames, and all the executioner's talent for torture. But let the spirit respond to itself and to the flesh that these things, while very painful, have even so, been recieved with equanimaty and with acute desire for the sake of fame and glory.

Tertullian

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Postby Pastor Bill » April 22nd, 2004, 3:40 am

jnsbray wrote:Maybe you should enlighten me with the scripture I have asked for then...
Proove that you are educated enough to give me the scriptures I have asked for...
The Divorce and remarriage topic still should note even be entered into question for being changed into the church so membership could be allowed because it is a statement of letting adultry and fornication in as well.


OK, first of all let's set aside the church, and look at God, and His people.

Are you living in sin to be with your 2nd husband? Honestly, not how the church teaches, how do YOU believe God feels about your situation? DO you consider yourself a fornicator and adulterer?

Maybe next will be drinking and gambling.


And what does that have to do with the price of eggs in Georgia?

how is "drinking and gambling" conneceted to D&R? They aren't, this is just a way of covering up the fact that you don't have scripture to back up your beliefs, so you want to resist change because we all know that drawing closer to God's will always leads to drinking and gambling. Please if you are trying to make a point, try making it rather than dragging up a bunch of unrelated issues.

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Hate to bust your bubble

Postby Pastor Gary » April 22nd, 2004, 9:06 am

jnsbray wrote:Maybe next will be drinking and gambling.


Uhhhhh.... if you go to eat dinner with Christians in most European, Middle-Eastern or Asian countries you might very likely find a bottle of wine on the table at dinner. Like the dinner Jesus had before his trial and crucifixion. Wine. (No, I don't drink and am not defending it -- just pointing out the obvious.)

And there's already gambling: search everybody's purse/wallet and you'll likely find a lottery ticket bought with a pledge that "I'll tithe if I winn!" :lol: :lol:
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

jnsbray
Regular
Posts: 20
Joined: March 16th, 2004, 2:02 pm
Location: KY

Postby jnsbray » April 22nd, 2004, 2:24 pm

(Shellie) Maybe next will be letting people teach BTI that don't know simple childhood bible stories.

I may not remember the stories, and that is fine for you to laugh, knock yourself out... :lol: But, if you are so knowledgable, why have you not given me the scripture I have asked for? I gave mine. Because you can't or you would have already done so...

(Pastor Bill) OK, first of all let's set aside the church, and look at God, and His people.
Are you living in sin to be with your 2nd husband? Honestly, not how the church teaches, how do YOU believe God feels about your situation? DO you consider yourself a fornicator and adulterer?

My salvation is not in question, and if you will read back on the chat, I did give scripture!!! iIf you are a minister, then why do you not give me the scriptures I asked instead of questioning me...

Pastor Gary, can you enlighten me with the scriptures I have requested?

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Postby Pastor Bill » April 23rd, 2004, 4:50 am

jnsbray wrote:(Pastor Bill) OK, first of all let's set aside the church, and look at God, and His people.
Are you living in sin to be with your 2nd husband? Honestly, not how the church teaches, how do YOU believe God feels about your situation? DO you consider yourself a fornicator and adulterer?

My salvation is not in question, and if you will read back on the chat, I did give scripture!!! iIf you are a minister, then why do you not give me the scriptures I asked instead of questioning me...


Oh, but your salvation IS in question, if the church's current teachings on D&R are correct, then you could not possibly be saved.

I looked back through the thread (boy it's long) and found that you have posted 15 times, ONCE (Page 7 last post) you included some scripture.

Mark 10:4-12 and Matthew 4:31-32 are references to the same teaching when Christ spoke against divorce

Hebrews 13:4 speaks against adultry (probably in reference to the fact that Christ equated divorce with adultry in the previous verses)

OK, you have shown that divorce is sin. I agree, most here would agree Divorce is NOT God's plan for our lives, but neither is ANY sin. So when someone commits ANY sin, God is able to forgive them (or at least that's what my Bible says, I can give you references, but I am sure you are familiar with them)

So now what makes remarriage (note CoGoP teachings do NOT forbid divorce, only remarriage) a sin? If divorce can be forgiven (and you must believe that is true since you believe you are saved, yet you are divorced) then why should we continue to teach that D&R is unforgivable?

We are not trying to conform the church teachings to the world, we are trying to conform the church teachings to scripture, just as we have always been supposed to do.

EITHER
You are saved, Divorce is a forgivable sin, remarriage (since there is no scripture that forbids it) is acceptable, and as a Church we should conform our teachings to the scriptures,

OR

You are lost in an unforgivable sinful condition, and the old church teachings are right and should not be changed.

So which is it? You can't have it both ways. Seeing a contradiction between scripture and church teaching you have to choose whether to follow God's word, or tradition. You on the other hand have chosen to follow God, but insist that the church (which says you are wrong) is right? that doesn't make sense, either you believe the church's stance on D&R, or you believe you are saved, which is it?

"...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

User avatar
ImaPK
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4300
Joined: March 14th, 2004, 10:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby ImaPK » April 23rd, 2004, 12:55 pm

Bill

Correct me if i'm wrong(and I probably am)remarriage is not a sin(ok)...divorce is a forgivable sin(ok)...now following your chain adultry is a forgivable sin but if I(being divorced)marry someone who is also divorced than neither one of us is committing a sin? Now for the sake of arguement IF it is a sin then we can ask God to forgive us every day and stay married...but if it's not a sin then adultry cannot be considered a sin and the scriptures plainly state that adultry is a sin so in this case church rules would supersede scripture...am I right or wrong(just asking)?
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. Author Unknown.

User avatar
ImaPK
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4300
Joined: March 14th, 2004, 10:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby ImaPK » April 24th, 2004, 5:14 pm

:oops: I must have ask the wrong question...AGAIN :oops:
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. Author Unknown.

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Postby Pastor Bill » April 26th, 2004, 5:01 am

ImaPK wrote:Bill

Correct me if i'm wrong(and I probably am)remarriage is not a sin(ok)...divorce is a forgivable sin(ok)...now following your chain adultry is a forgivable sin but if I(being divorced)marry someone who is also divorced than neither one of us is committing a sin? Now for the sake of arguement IF it is a sin then we can ask God to forgive us every day and stay married...but if it's not a sin then adultry cannot be considered a sin and the scriptures plainly state that adultry is a sin so in this case church rules would supersede scripture...am I right or wrong(just asking)?


Sorry it took me so long to respond, (it was a busy weekend)

You are taking some mighty leaps with this train of thought.

Divorce is a sin, but God can fogive our past and take us from where we are. Now if we are bound by our past failed marriage, then how can we say we have been forgiven?

You are equating remarriage with adultry, and I think that is stretching the definition of adultry.

I Corinthians 7:15
7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.


The verse above says that if the spouse departs, the christian is not under bondage. Why should we, the church, put them under bondage in this? I do not believe divorce is a chrisitian thing to do, but if in sin a marriage is broken, why would the innocent person (or a forgiven person) be placed under this bondage?

Now many may say that divorce is fine, but the person should never remarry, but would this not also be bondage? A widow is freed from their past (see I Corinthians 7:39), is the forgiveness of Christ's blood less capable of setting a person free than the blood of their spouse?

This being said, I do believe that the scriptures are clear that divorce is NOT God's will in a Chrisitan's life, but a sinful past is covered by the blood of Christ, and we are free from the bondage of our sins (and yes some marriages in themselves are sin)

User avatar
ImaPK
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4300
Joined: March 14th, 2004, 10:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby ImaPK » April 27th, 2004, 4:29 pm

So in other words if my spouse and myself are the "wronged" party in a previous marriage it is ok for us to marry and live in adultary contrary to the scriptures?(just asking)
People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. Author Unknown.

User avatar
curiouspk
Whoa!!
Whoa!!
Posts: 492
Joined: April 17th, 2004, 7:20 am
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Postby curiouspk » April 27th, 2004, 6:08 pm

just curious with the last couple of post if the bible teaches freedom from bondage while in sin then is there the same liberty for christians who D/R

Also I agree pk your using the wrong definition for adultry
God Bless
May the fire that is in me, be within you also!!
www.myspace.com/brandonheacox


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Login  •  Register