youth camp staff

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club
Posts: 1094
Joined: July 2nd, 2007, 3:42 pm
Location: USA,Georgia

youth camp staff

Postby dawgs10 » June 22nd, 2008, 3:14 pm

how do you feel about workers in cogop youth camps that will not support local cogop churchs. should they or should they not be allowed to work in a cogop camp if they do not attend or support in anyway cogop in any other form of ministry.

User avatar
Mat
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 313
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 10:09 am
Location: USA,SouthCarolina
Contact:

removed

Postby Mat » June 22nd, 2008, 3:23 pm

removed
Last edited by Mat on August 19th, 2008, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ErinNicole
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 115
Joined: August 30th, 2003, 4:56 am
Location: USA,Illinois
Contact:

Postby ErinNicole » June 22nd, 2008, 3:29 pm

I direct senior high camp for IL/WI and I have a couple of staff members who are not actively attending a COGOP congregation. They do attend church regularly and must bring me a written recommendation from their current pastor beyond the staff application. For me, these are people who have worked in COGOP camp for years and have proved themselves time and again. I think you have to look beyond membership sometimes. There are some COGOP members who have no business working in youth camp.

Erin

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

In Hawaii

Postby Pastor Gary » June 22nd, 2008, 4:27 pm

If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Mat
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 313
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 10:09 am
Location: USA,SouthCarolina
Contact:

removed

Postby Mat » June 22nd, 2008, 5:47 pm

removed
Last edited by Mat on August 19th, 2008, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kenya
Moderator
Posts: 2946
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:19 pm
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Postby Kenya » June 23rd, 2008, 1:50 am

I would say the answer to that question depends a lot on the purpose of cogop camps.
Kenya

I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Galatians 2:21


http://www.somersetcommunitymission.com

one love
Woohoo!
Posts: 3082
Joined: October 23rd, 2007, 12:48 pm
Location: USA,Virginia

Re: In Hawaii

Postby one love » June 23rd, 2008, 2:04 am

Mat wrote:
Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


PG,
I have no problem with good Christian folks who are faithful members of other churches working in COGOP camps. My problem is with COGOP members whose only gift on the local level is not attending, yet are allowed/invited to be on staff at camp. Every camp staffer should have their pastor, of what ever church, sign-off on their application. The application should state that they are faithful attenders and supports of the church they are members of and that as far as the pastor knows there is no reason they can not work with children or teens. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Mat

PS How do you get the quotas to apear in the white boxes? Now wait, how come it did it this time?


just hit the "qoute" button :wink:

User avatar
stevenson
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2214
Joined: February 9th, 2004, 2:44 pm
Location: USA,Ohio

Postby stevenson » June 23rd, 2008, 2:45 am

Isn't this the kind of thinking that closed the doors to Tomlinson College? The "for our poeple and ran by our people only" mentality?
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Re: In Hawaii

Postby MrDanger » June 23rd, 2008, 3:04 am

Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


AMEN! And why would we want to limit ourselves from all the resources (gifted, dedicated Christians) that are out there to minister to our youth?
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » June 23rd, 2008, 4:32 am

I think using people we know works better as far as checks and balances - you're able to know a person's reputation and if they've caused problems or challenged authority with others. It's not precise but it helps. When you're aware of workers who attend or lead other churches and know their reputations, I think it's cool to bring them to share their talents. I've seen it work positively in small doses and negatively in larger doses. :-)
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » June 23rd, 2008, 5:13 am

I agree with you Dewayne...110% :lol:

A sorta funny side note, back several years ago when I was coming down every summer to work in the 12-14 camp in Georgia, the director caught some grief for having an "outsider" work in Georgia camp. Some of them even to my face. :shock:

I thought it was funny that a good ole COGOP boy like me was considered an outsider because I was from another state. It's okay though, I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » June 23rd, 2008, 5:28 am

MrDanger wrote: I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:


They don't count....literally. :-)

Just kidding, my South Georgia friends!
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » June 23rd, 2008, 5:53 am

DeWayneTN wrote:
MrDanger wrote: I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:


They don't count....literally. :-)

Just kidding, my South Georgia friends!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you. The Dewayne and Jeff Comedy Hour will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-
Posts: 4477
Joined: March 15th, 2004, 7:09 am
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby DeWayneTN » June 23rd, 2008, 5:57 am

Say good night, Jeffy.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Re: In Hawaii

Postby Paully_44 » June 23rd, 2008, 5:59 am

Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


I would have no problem using qualified people regardless of which denomination they hang their membership on.
Let the wild rumpus start!


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Login  •  Register