Page 1 of 2

youth camp staff

Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 3:14 pm
by dawgs10
how do you feel about workers in cogop youth camps that will not support local cogop churchs. should they or should they not be allowed to work in a cogop camp if they do not attend or support in anyway cogop in any other form of ministry.

removed

Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 3:23 pm
by Mat
removed

Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 3:29 pm
by ErinNicole
I direct senior high camp for IL/WI and I have a couple of staff members who are not actively attending a COGOP congregation. They do attend church regularly and must bring me a written recommendation from their current pastor beyond the staff application. For me, these are people who have worked in COGOP camp for years and have proved themselves time and again. I think you have to look beyond membership sometimes. There are some COGOP members who have no business working in youth camp.

Erin

In Hawaii

Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 4:27 pm
by Pastor Gary
If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.

removed

Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 5:47 pm
by Mat
removed

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 1:50 am
by Kenya
I would say the answer to that question depends a lot on the purpose of cogop camps.

Re: In Hawaii

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 2:04 am
by one love
Mat wrote:
Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


PG,
I have no problem with good Christian folks who are faithful members of other churches working in COGOP camps. My problem is with COGOP members whose only gift on the local level is not attending, yet are allowed/invited to be on staff at camp. Every camp staffer should have their pastor, of what ever church, sign-off on their application. The application should state that they are faithful attenders and supports of the church they are members of and that as far as the pastor knows there is no reason they can not work with children or teens. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Mat

PS How do you get the quotas to apear in the white boxes? Now wait, how come it did it this time?


just hit the "qoute" button :wink:

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 2:45 am
by stevenson
Isn't this the kind of thinking that closed the doors to Tomlinson College? The "for our poeple and ran by our people only" mentality?

Re: In Hawaii

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 3:04 am
by MrDanger
Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


AMEN! And why would we want to limit ourselves from all the resources (gifted, dedicated Christians) that are out there to minister to our youth?

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 4:32 am
by DeWayneTN
I think using people we know works better as far as checks and balances - you're able to know a person's reputation and if they've caused problems or challenged authority with others. It's not precise but it helps. When you're aware of workers who attend or lead other churches and know their reputations, I think it's cool to bring them to share their talents. I've seen it work positively in small doses and negatively in larger doses. :-)

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 5:13 am
by MrDanger
I agree with you Dewayne...110% :lol:

A sorta funny side note, back several years ago when I was coming down every summer to work in the 12-14 camp in Georgia, the director caught some grief for having an "outsider" work in Georgia camp. Some of them even to my face. :shock:

I thought it was funny that a good ole COGOP boy like me was considered an outsider because I was from another state. It's okay though, I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 5:28 am
by DeWayneTN
MrDanger wrote: I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:


They don't count....literally. :-)

Just kidding, my South Georgia friends!

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 5:53 am
by MrDanger
DeWayneTN wrote:
MrDanger wrote: I think the people were from south Georgia that were complaining and they don't count do they? :lol:


They don't count....literally. :-)

Just kidding, my South Georgia friends!


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you thank you thank you. The Dewayne and Jeff Comedy Hour will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 5:57 am
by DeWayneTN
Say good night, Jeffy.

Re: In Hawaii

Posted: June 23rd, 2008, 5:59 am
by Paully_44
Pastor Gary wrote:If we depended ONLY on COGOP members for camp staff, there would have been many years of no camps at all. We have used all kind of good people on our staff, mostly of necessity, but also by design.


I would have no problem using qualified people regardless of which denomination they hang their membership on.