Best Teen Study Bible?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

User avatar
Brian
Da Bomb!
Posts: 944
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 7:30 pm
Location: USA,Virginia

Best Teen Study Bible?

Postby Brian » August 31st, 2008, 3:50 am

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good teen study bible? Our 15 year old daughter is studing world religion in school and I am embarrased to say how much she doesn't know (or hasn't retained) about our christian faith and beliefs.

I have seen where some study bibles have answers for the tough questions and situations our kids go through, and some nice study guides to boot, so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light in which direction we should go. Thanks
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15

http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

jdavis
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 653
Joined: September 13th, 2003, 11:23 am
Location: USA,Illinois

Postby jdavis » August 31st, 2008, 6:10 am

Zondervan used to make a Bible called The Student Bible and I was a big fan of it. Still have mine actually. Also the Life Application Bible for Students was pretty good if they still make it.

This is Erin not JDavis.

User avatar
Brian
Da Bomb!
Posts: 944
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 7:30 pm
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby Brian » August 31st, 2008, 7:15 am

jdavis wrote:Zondervan used to make a Bible called The Student Bible and I was a big fan of it. Still have mine actually. Also the Life Application Bible for Students was pretty good if they still make it.

This is Erin not JDavis.


Thanks Erin. A few minutes ago I came across a web site that had some concerns about the Zondervan Teen Study Bible, but I am not sure what to think. A few of the concerns I thought were valid, other just nit-picking. Maybe you can glance over some of there questions and let me know if they are something to consider.

Thanks again!
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15



http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

User avatar
Tracy
Woohoo!
Posts: 1341
Joined: January 31st, 2003, 3:22 am
Location: USA,Kentucky

Postby Tracy » August 31st, 2008, 7:41 am

My teen likes his Reformation Study Bible--ESV.
"There was only one hope for me—that the infinite wisdom of God might make a way for the love of God to satisfy the wrath of God so that I might become a son of God."--Dr. John Piper

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » August 31st, 2008, 8:51 am

Tracy wrote:My teen likes his Reformation Study Bible--ESV.


That is going to be my next Bible purchase.

User avatar
RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher
Posts: 12355
Joined: July 17th, 2004, 5:41 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Postby RamboPreacher » August 31st, 2008, 3:37 pm

study Bible, as in one with special commentaries and notes that explain the scriptures? Or a translation that is easy for a teen to read and comprehend? big difference. and big difference of application.

in any case - how about the "life application" study bible. those seem to be pretty popular.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

User avatar
Brian
Da Bomb!
Posts: 944
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 7:30 pm
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby Brian » August 31st, 2008, 5:31 pm

RamboPreacher wrote:study Bible, as in one with special commentaries and notes that explain the scriptures? Or a translation that is easy for a teen to read and comprehend? big difference. and big difference of application.

in any case - how about the "life application" study bible. those seem to be pretty popular.


Good question RP. :) I guess I am looking for a good translation that may be marketed for a young adult audience. I have seen some that have breaks in the scriptures and point out various issues and topics that a young person may feel is important to them and gives an explanation in such a manner they can better understand and relate to. Not that a good all around version wouldn't work.......just looking for something more specific.

Thanks for everyones imput, I am going to check a few of those out!
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15



http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

User avatar
Tracy
Woohoo!
Posts: 1341
Joined: January 31st, 2003, 3:22 am
Location: USA,Kentucky

Postby Tracy » September 1st, 2008, 2:35 am

The ESV is *very* readable.
"There was only one hope for me—that the infinite wisdom of God might make a way for the love of God to satisfy the wrath of God so that I might become a son of God."--Dr. John Piper

ErinNicole
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 115
Joined: August 30th, 2003, 4:56 am
Location: USA,Illinois
Contact:

Postby ErinNicole » September 1st, 2008, 3:13 am

I had a Teen Study Bible and I remember those glossy topic pages but I don't remember those definitions. I am not so sure I would purchase that Bible either. I was looking on CBD and it appears that it has now been updated for newer generations so maybe they removed those.

The Bible that I had and still use from time to time was The Student Bible. You can read more about it here:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... 8&event=CF
This one is updated from the one I had but may suit the needs of your daughter.

deb
Da Bomb!
Posts: 837
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 8:34 am
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby deb » September 3rd, 2008, 1:45 am

I also have been using the ESV for quite a few years.

They have a new ESV study Bible to be released in Oct 08.
Here is the link - http://www.esvstudybible.org/#home

Christianbook.com is also taking pre-orders:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?within=N%253D1029222%25204294957610%2526Ne%253D200900%2526Ns%253Dproduct.number_sold%2526Nso%253D1%2526Nu%253Dproduct.endeca_rollup%2526action%253DSearch%2526event%253DEBRN&Ntk=keywords&Ntt=esv+study+bible&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=25&Go.y=15&Go=Go

My regular hardcover ESV is falling apart - what does anyone think about this new one?

User avatar
Brian
Da Bomb!
Posts: 944
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 7:30 pm
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby Brian » September 3rd, 2008, 1:55 am

deb wrote:I also have been using the ESV for quite a few years.

They have a new ESV study Bible to be released in Oct 08.
Here is the link - http://www.esvstudybible.org/#home


Yea I was looking at that one also. It seems to be along the same lines as the reformation study bible, but packaged in a different way.

Thanks again
"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will release my feet from the snare." Psalm 25:15



http://www.myspace.com/twiztidstr8

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » September 3rd, 2008, 2:27 am

Another good bible for high school on up is IMPACT Student Leadership Bible. It is geared teaching how to impact your world, your family, and those you come into contact with.

As a side note, Palma Hutchinson is one of the main contributors for the devotionals in this Bible.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Login  •  Register