Michael wrote:I certainly have questioned my views and the sources for those views and have revised several such views over the years. At times I look at my wife and she looks at me and we ask: "Why are we so different?" I claim the Kinks song "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" as my anthem.
Well, at least you know that you are way different than most folks. That's a start...
But you do not have the necessary perspective to decide that for yourself anymore than anybody else does.
Then who does?
[/quote]
Such things are usually determined by a consensus of opinion. That is why the "me and Jesus don't need anybody else" approach doesn't work; we are made to need each other and that is why the bible says "do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, as is the practice of some"...
Frankly, you have managed to study your way into some of the most extreme positions possible on pretty much everything I have ever seen you post on.
Extreme being defined as?
[/quote]
Widely divergent from your fellows.
Examples? You don't pay taxes;
I pay plenty of taxes: Property taxes, gun and ammo taxes, car registration taxes, alcohol taxes (just a beer every now and then), rooms and meals taxes, gasoline taxes, dog licensing tax, drivers license tax, telephone taxes, natural gas taxes, electricity taxes, etc.
Come on Mike, you know what I mean, and don't jive me with this pettifogging.
No, I don't pay federal income taxes for there is no law and/or regulation requiring me to pay such a tax in my present status as an Amercian citizen living and working in one of the 50 United States.
Whereas the consensus of opinion is that paying federal income tax is a legal, ethical, and moral obligation.
you don't attend an organized church;
It's been a while, yes. Is that something that should be held against me?
Held against you? It's merely one of the trees that compose the forest named Mike Olzsta. Taken by itself, it doens't mean much, but when you put it with the rest of the trees in the that forest, it gives a more accurate view of who you are.
You will only read the King James translation because all the others are corrupted with New Age philosophies;
I don't necessarily buy that argument anymore. Riplinger influenced my thinking at one time but presently I would not use that argument in defense of the KJV.
But you were willing to take the word of a woman whose degree is in a branch of Home Economics over that of scholars who have devoted their academic lives to the study of the scriptures and their translation. And, unless I misunderstand you, you still maintain the KJV is the only valid translation of the autographas that compose the Holy Bible. THAT is an extreme viewpoint that contradicts the weight of scholarship on the subject. In short, the recognized experts mostly disagree with you. Do you still believe the translators of the KJV were divinely inspired?
You refuse to listen to any sort of Christian "rock" music because it is corrupted;
I don't care for Christian rock, no. It does nothing for me spiritually. I'd rather sing praises to the Lord in unsyncopated, non-amplified music, but I wouldn't debate the issue as before. It is a preference of mine, not a doctrinal absolute.
Come on, Mike, we have a history, and it doesn't support what you are saying. A few years ago, you sent me to a cheezy site that may not outright say that Christian rock is satanic, but is pretty emphatic that it is harmful, not merely unedifying. Why would you do that if you didn't have the opinion that it is harmful?
The only thing I would point out is that scientific studies prove that rock, at least the real hard stuff, is not healthy for plants and/or humans while baroque classical is.
Yeah, well I heard about a scientific study that proves fresh air is bad for people; it irritates the lungs and raises the blood pressure. Take it how you want to, but science doesn't always have the right answer...and people aren't plants, guy....
Feel free to interpret such data as you please.
Thanx.
I take it to mean that I'm probably better off listening to classical music than I am rock n roll, Christian or not. But I have my rockin favorites on the computer that I let loose on every now and then depending on my mood. Like my daughter, who is a piano performance major says: "Music has a lot to do with mood, Papa."
And you are free to listen to whatever you want. But you have made public statements that denigrate contemporary Gospel music.
and now you are saying that there is a secret reason why the war is on, and that the media is decieved and/or deliberately decieving pretty much everybody but you and those who know what you know.
I believe the underlying reason(s) for the war with Iraq goes a lot deeper than what we are being told, yes.
[/quote]
Now we are getting down to brass tacks.
I believe there is a conspiracy by certain elite to take over the world and usher in the anti-Christ.
If that is the case, it is the fulfillment of prophecy, at least in one eschatological construct. Do you think you, or anyone else, or even a group of people, are going to stop what was prophesied by God?
I believe that Sadaam is an obstacle to that plan, that he is no longer playing by the rules of those who are running the show (or at least they think they are running the show; God is allowing them to carry out their plans so is in charge) and that he (Sadaam) must be removed.
Even if it is true, who cares? Let me rephrase that; what Christian cares? Jesus said when you see all the signs of the end happening, look up for your redemption draweth nigh. We are supposed to be found doing what He said to do, which as far as I can tell doesn't include trying to nail down the details of what the enemy is beiing allowed to do to bring it about.
The anti-Christ is not just going to pop in and say "Here I am! Take the mark!" without a lot of groundwork being done in advance by those whom the spirit of lawlessness controls.
Again, so what? The rubber will meet the road sometime, if the end time scenario actually follows the chiliastic viewpoint you seem to espouse. And by the way, that viewpoint hasn't been incontrovertably proven either.
If I forgot anything, go ahead and post it to remind me. Forgive me for saying so, but it's hard to put much trust into the statements of a person who goes so far out on so many things.
You'd be a fool to trust my statements or those of any other man. [/quote]
Oh garbage! You make your posts here with every intent of them being taken seriously. Don't act like you don't.
But I would say that what you consider to be far out may be due to a lack of research on your part and I say that with no malice.
And I would say, also without malice, that you have reached your views based on information you gathered by researching the particular group of experts you have CHOSEN to believe. That doesn't make you better informed than anybody, it merely means you have gathered information to support the preconceptions you started with.
Just to take the federal income tax issue, for example: Tell me, do you pay them because you actually have read the law that requires you to pay them or do you pay them because that's just the way everyone else you know does it?
I pay them because I have a moral obligation to pay my share of the expense of the public services I consume. I have said so previously.
Well, what do you believe? Are you saying that the President of the United States is the pawn of some cabal of national and/or international authority figures that sets people like him up and pulls them down according to their onw designs?
Yes, insomuch that God allows them to carry out their plans.
Well, at least you have come out and said so.
Whether the President himself is consciously aware of these things is between him and God. His father was the first president to tout the phrase "New World Order" during the first gulf war.
Yeah, and John Hagee and all those guys who make money off of selling paranoid polemics to all those pointy-headed little conspiracy theorists out there thought they'd died and gone to heaven when he did; A financial bonanza was in the making....
I don't know if they consciously are for giving up the United States' national sovereignity, but their actions certainly show that they don't seem to care anything about the bill of rights and the protections it offers American citizens.
Considering the present state of affairs at the UN(we ignored them and unilaterally started war in Iraq against UN wishes and intentions), I wonder how you can say that with a straight face.
Hopefully I've answered your question.
Hopefully, I have given you something to think about in respopnse...