Page 1 of 2
WWJB? (That is not a typo)
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 1:32 pm
by Pastor Gary
WWJB?
Where Would Jesus Be?
This Sunday is July 4th, one of the major holidays in America for fun and family activities. We know from experience in Hawaii where most of the people will be... at the BEACH. The 4th of July weekend is probably one of THE popular days for cookouts and beach park outings.
So we have to ask ourselves: if Jesus walked the earth in 2004 America, where do you think He would be on the 4th? I think the answer to that is pretty obvious... Jesus would be where the people will be, AT THE BEACH! The church is not a building or a specific meeting place, the church is people, you and me, wherever we are. On the 4th of July the church should be where the people are -- AT THE BEACH.
That's why Windward Worship Center will have the doors closed tomorrow and we will will meet under a picnic tent at the beach park. I will preach in T-shirt and shorts and some in the congregation will be in swimsuits, and the CHURCH will go to the PEOPLE instead of waiting for the people to come to the church.
And Jesus said He'd be there too.
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 2:01 pm
by Sherry
That's my kinda church!!! Have a fun day!
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 2:52 pm
by Ilovebigcats
I didn't vote....
According to your story of your area... I agree Jesus would probably be at the beach... I don't know about a pair of shorts and a boogie board though...
Here he would be in the highways and hedges compelling people to come to him, where ever he chose to gather them all. Church, park, in the street, or in the woods.
Why?
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 3:05 pm
by Pastor Gary
Ilovecats wrote:According to your story of your area... I agree Jesus would probably be at the beach... I don't know about a pair of shorts and a boogie board though...
Why?
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 3:12 pm
by Ilovebigcats
Just a funny visual....
Don't try and bait me Pastor G...
On my MSN avitar I have Jesus holding a package of mentos cause he's
the freshmaker. It's weird but funny.
I think Jesus would be there for the souls not the water. IMHO.
You might get to see a multiplying of the burgers and dogs though... that would be cool.
If you were trying to get me into the
shorts issue I would but I enjoy my time here and am affraid of the attack from some.

However if you really want to go there I can but remember I am entitled to my opinion as much as you. I am not judgemental like what I come out of. It's your choice. I can't say what God has told you. You would not offend me preaching in your shorts and T. I wouldn't think twice about it. For me and my family though, we will be covered ankle to neck.

Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 3:14 pm
by Ilovebigcats
and YES... before I get asked, Caetie was covered ankle to neck swimming today.

She was with just girls and we don't have bathing suits.

Touchy, are we?
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 4:01 pm
by Pastor Gary
My, we are touchy today...
Ilovecats wrote:Don't try and bait me Pastor G...
I didn't realize "why?" was baiting. Thought that was called dialog.
Ilovecats wrote:I think Jesus would be there for the souls not the water. IMHO.
Maybe so. Fact is, I can't even recall the last time I was in the ocean. I am not much of a swimmer, and I burn like a white boy. We are having church at the beach FOLLOWED by a picnic. I may fall asleep under the tent, or I may paly in the water with the kids.
Ilovecats wrote:You might get to see a multiplying of the burgers and dogs though... that would be cool.
I am up for that!
Ilovecats wrote:If you were trying to get me into the shorts issue ...
With all due respect, there hasn't been a
shorts issue in my world in several decades. You are projecting your issues onto my world, and they are non-issues with me.
Ilovecats wrote:...if you really want to go there I can but remember I am entitled to my opinion as much as you. I am not judgemental like what I come out of. It's your choice.
Look, hon, I am not trying to tackle you and make you wear clothing that violates your conscience -- I honestly don't care if you wear
THIS to the beach. Whatever floats your boat.
Ilovecats wrote:You would not offend me preaching in your shorts and T. I wouldn't think twice about it.
You brought it up.
Ilovecats wrote:For me and my family though, we will be covered ankle to neck.

If you feel that's appropriate, enjoy.
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 4:11 pm
by Ilovebigcats
I think you got the touchy person mixed up with yourself. I wasn't touchy at all. I could care less whether you was "baiting" me or not. I made a joke about shorts and a boggie board and you asked why. Why did you ask why? You usually don't respond much to me at all so I thought it curious. If I seemed defensive I am not. I didn't project my beliefs on you at all. I just stated my opinion, which I do have a right to do and have. I didn't accuse you of trying to project your beach going, short wearing views on myself. Your the pastor of your church do what you will. We do the same. It would be nice to just be able to have fellowship. Why so touchy?
Okay
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 5:11 pm
by Pastor Gary
Ilovecats wrote:I think you got the touchy person mixed up with yourself. I wasn't touchy at all.
Okay. Drop it. You don't see that you raised the issue, so never mind. Sorry your daughter got burned.
Posted: July 3rd, 2004, 7:09 pm
by Paully_44
I skewed the poll. I voted for heathens when I meant to say, "I'd join in"
I wonder how dazed and confused many would be if we could actually see how Jesus would minister in this day and age.
Posted: July 4th, 2004, 9:50 am
by AndyG
Paully_44 wrote:I wonder how dazed and confused many would be if we could actually see how Jesus would minister in this day and age.
Well, I'm sure of one thing. No matter how "good" our services seem to be, I doubt Jesus would ever come.
'cept maybe to run people out with a whip

Posted: July 4th, 2004, 3:05 pm
by mavislb
Actually we were scheduled to have service at church this morning but found ourselves without electricity due to a storm at 6:30 AM. It just returned at 6:00 PM. So we have been without electricity for about 11 hours today. But then it appears around town most people were out cleaning up the downed trees and limbs, except the ones that fell on cars. They probably need to wait for the insurance adjusters first. Anyway, glad to have the A/C back and be able to cook other than on the grill. So Jesus probably would have been outside helping move lots and lots of trees today.
Posted: July 5th, 2004, 2:53 am
by James
I do think that Jesus might be found at the beach, helping with the clean-up, watching the fireworks while hearing all the "Ooohs" and "Aahh's", or even at my own backyard barbecue. I also think His dress would be somewhat contemporary (shorts? Maybe. I don't know). Actually, whereever His people are, He is there, too. Doesn't His word state that He would be with us always?
Re: WWJB? (That is not a typo)
Posted: July 5th, 2004, 5:43 am
by Pastor Bill
Pastor Gary wrote:...and we will will meet under a picnic tent at the beach park....
WHAT? you didn't have them row you out a little ways in a boat!
Sounds like a great service and outreach opportunity.
James wrote:Actually, whereever His people are, He is there, too. Doesn't His word state that He would be with us always?
Yes, it says:
Matthew 28:20 wrote:and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
and that's why I don't do heights!

Posted: July 5th, 2004, 5:46 am
by Billy n NC
Okay Pastor G.. How was the Beach Service..
For our inquiring minds.. lol
Billy n NC