Page 1 of 1

Car-knowldedgeable people, a word of advice...

Posted: January 23rd, 2009, 2:40 am
by Mike Vande
I'm on foot since my car snapped the timing chain and bent the valves, and I'm pretty much broke as usual. A guy says he'll sell me his Hyundai for $300. I'm worried that a Korean made car with that many miles on it will fall apart in fairly short order. Can anybody tell me why Kelly's Blue Book would say a '96 Hyundai Accent in "good" condition with 200,000 miles on should be worth $1200? Should I buy it, or pass?

Posted: January 23rd, 2009, 4:09 am
by DaJudge
Hyundais are crap, but if it runs at all, $300 sounds like a pretty good deal.

You can sell a junk car to a scrap yard for $250, so if it dies, you'd only be out $50

Posted: January 23rd, 2009, 4:18 am
by MacUser
DaJudge is correct.
You could part it out for greater than that.

If the car is running and in decent condition etc.. means it will pass inspection etc at your local DMV... then it's a no brainer at that price.

Transportation is EVERYTHING. Best Wishes.

Car knowledge people

Posted: January 23rd, 2009, 12:09 pm
by Dr. Ron
Don't give your broken down car away.

It is worth more for scrap than you think..

The average sized car at the junk yard brings about 600.00.

Don't let them say...."We'll haul it away for you ....it isn't worth anything."

Posted: January 23rd, 2009, 12:41 pm
by pitts47150
Listen to these guys, they are right. My husband is in the towing business and he scraps cars sometimes. It all depends on what they are giving a ton. You can call around and find the scrap yard that is giving the most for a ton. If the price is up you can get your money back if it quits on you.

Posted: January 24th, 2009, 2:29 am
by stevenson
What kind of car did you have that the timing chain snapped in?

Re: Car-knowldedgeable people, a word of advice...

Posted: January 24th, 2009, 3:57 am
by THE RAzEr
Mike Vande wrote:I'm on foot since my car snapped the timing chain and bent the valves, and I'm pretty much broke as usual. A guy says he'll sell me his Hyundai for $300. I'm worried that a Korean made car with that many miles on it will fall apart in fairly short order. Can anybody tell me why Kelly's Blue Book would say a '96 Hyundai Accent in "good" condition with 200,000 miles on should be worth $1200? Should I buy it, or pass?




I have been where you are. i hope you did not owe on the other car. My advice was given by the judge. You need transportation???

I pray now for god tp bless you!
Ray Ammons

Posted: January 24th, 2009, 9:34 am
by Mike Vande
stevenson wrote:What kind of car did you have that the timing chain snapped in?


a 1987 Dodge Colt. It had three virtues;
1. I didn't owe anything on it.
2. It ran.
3. It was easy on gas.

Beyond that, there wasn't much to say for it. But those three were pretty nice virtues to have...