Who will be the next Paul Harvey R.I.P

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

MacUser
Established Member

Who will be the next Paul Harvey R.I.P

Postby MacUser » February 28th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Who will be the trusted voice of integrity for future generations?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090301/ap_ ... bit_harvey

God Bless Paul.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » February 28th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Fred Thompson launched a similar radio show just this week and he has filled in for Paul many times. of course there can only be one PH.
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » February 28th, 2009, 6:02 pm

I think Fred was going to take Bill O. radio program..

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Postby TC » February 28th, 2009, 6:39 pm

straight from the old school, the type of guys who would never dream of going on the air without wearing a suit and tie eventhough nobody would ever see them, because they felt that was what a professional did. Also he was one of the best storytellers to ever live and I always enjoyed the "Rest of the Story" segments and trying to figure out who he was talking about.

One of my favorites..... I remember one he did about a kid from England named Patrick. Patrick was born to a teenage mother with a GI father at the end of World War 2. However, his mother left for America in her early 20's and he was raised by his grandmother thinking the grandmother was his mother, and his mother was really his older sister. At about the age of 10 his grandparents told him the truth and he was scarred. His "older sister" would always send him birthday and Christmas presents from America but after the age of 10 he would never open them.

At around his 12th birthday he was heading for trouble and needed a hobby so Patrick's grandparents bought him a guitar. He had little interest in the guitar so it sat in the attic collecting dust. About a year later he got expelled from school and went to work with his grandfather who was a brick mason. Patrick had always thought of his grandpa as just a bricklayer but he was really an artist who would work on the gardens and homes of some of the wealtiest people in London and his work was tremedous.

Knowing that this artistic gene ran in his family Patrick started to wonder what his talent was. At around 15 he picked up his old guitar his grandparents bought for him and started to slowly teach himself how to play from books at the public library. He liked to play the guitar but the music he was learning didn't interest him much, however that Christmas he got a Christmas package from his mother in America. He finally decided to open the package and found it filled with records: Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Holly, etc...

He began to listen to the records and play along and before long he was playing along with every record. Within months he figured out that he could not only play along with the guys on the records, but he could actually play better. The next year he joined his first band, and three years later people in London were spraypainting buildings calling him God.

He wasn't God, but he was Patrick but you know him by his first name, Eric...

...Eric Clapton.

And now you know the rest of the story.

bibleguy
The J2 500

Postby bibleguy » March 1st, 2009, 5:40 am

I have very fond memories of hearing Paul Harvey's voice on the radio in my father's shop, and always tried to catch him ever since. What a great voice, and a great program -- I was always amazed at "the rest of the story."

His integrity and true heart will be sorely missed.

Thank you Paul.
Get your nose in the Book! Be a Bible Guy Today!

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » March 1st, 2009, 5:58 am

And now, Paul Harvey will truly know "The rest of the Story."
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

SBW
Needs a LIFE

Paul Harvey

Postby SBW » March 2nd, 2009, 5:46 am

I feel like I have lost a friend. Started listening to him when I was a child, at my grandfather's house. I became a lifelong listener.

The best story I ever heard him tell was about his conversion and baptism. He told it on Larry King one night.

God bless his family.
SBW

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » March 2nd, 2009, 6:21 am

He was the gold standard of broadcasters, IMO. I enjoyed him a lot. There won't be another one.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » March 2nd, 2009, 7:06 am

dolfan wrote:He was the gold standard of broadcasters, IMO.

Exactly. He was one of the few people that I would have liked to have met.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!

John 1:29

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » March 2nd, 2009, 9:30 am

To answer your question, there was only one Paul Harvey, therefore no one can replace him. A once-in-a-lifetime legend.

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Who wil be the next Paul Harvey....RIP

Postby Dr. Ron » March 2nd, 2009, 11:38 am

My afternoons will never be the same again.

I usually get in my van, go by MCDee's and get a tea and retire to listen to the golden voice of radio and the heart of reason. He has been my "friend" for decades. I have always tried to make time for him.

He will be greatly missed and often copied.....but he will remain the greatest user of the venacular in the history of radio. No one can nor will compare.....

And it wasn't always the words.....sometimes it was the pauses......

Rest Well Sir!
Dr. Ron

Carlene Prince
Needs a LIFE

Postby Carlene Prince » March 2nd, 2009, 11:58 am

soulsearcher wrote:To answer your question, there was only one Paul Harvey, therefore no one can replace him. A once-in-a-lifetime legend.

AMEN…

Goodnight, Sir.
Carlene

bibleguy
The J2 500

Re: Who wil be the next Paul Harvey....RIP

Postby bibleguy » March 2nd, 2009, 12:33 pm

Dr. Ron wrote:And it wasn't always the words.....sometimes it was the pauses......

Ain't that the truth!
Get your nose in the Book! Be a Bible Guy Today!

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » March 3rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

To really answer your question.... Paul Harvey, Jr. who already has filled in for his dad on numerous occassions. And he sounds very much like him!
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

THE RAzEr
1100 Dalmatians

Postby THE RAzEr » March 3rd, 2009, 5:39 pm

About 25years ago Iwas traveling in my car when i heard that pleasant voice come over the radio. "The church ofgod of Prophecy, Brooklyn , New York," It seemed a robber was surprized as he tried to rob a church congregation. the minister began to shout praises to god as the men and woman of the Church built a tower of prayer over the assailant who waned their money and their valuables.

Page Two was the robber was overcome by the very people he would have robbed. They overcame the theif by the Love of God and the faith that they would not be harmed.

The rest of the story was that the robber told the police a church was a place to steal alot of jewelry, but surprise in the church of God of Prophecy, they don't wear jewelry.

At that time it was basically true. It was something to hear PH talk abpout it.

Ray

THE RAzEr

Hinn may lay an egg, a Dollar may not be worth two cents, ERekA might be a Star in a Top Hat, Copeland-Hagin may be like a can of snuff in some rich dude's back pocket, but I'm still Pentecostal to the bone.

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”