List of COGOP influencers

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Postby Pastor Gary » April 23rd, 2009, 4:59 pm

I am interested in learning who you would list among progressive, influential leaders in the COGOP today. They might be Pastors, Overseers, General Appointees, former leaders, or just plain folks who are opinion leaders, are visible, or are those who "get it.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

JanB
---=== J2 ===---

Postby JanB » April 23rd, 2009, 5:43 pm

Definitely, Bishop Billy Murray!
God Bless,
Jan

If someone were to pay you ten cents for every kind word you ever spoke and collect five cents for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?

one love
Woohoo!

Postby one love » April 24th, 2009, 12:46 am

you would despise my list as they would be of the "old paths" people :wink:

But there are many who were great men of God!!!!

As far as Bily Murray yes he brought the change many of you liked. He was wanting that change for a lONG time (I dont think he knew to what extent at that time) even when preaching the same ole message in the eighties. There was a small group working it together who felt the same as you do that the COGOP needed to change, they liked the growth that COG had when they changed as well.

None of these comments are meant as a negative, if they are taken that way it is my fault for poorly describing what I am trying to say, so please keep that in mind if anyone thinks that was a bash of any kind it was not. I just know from family that was right there with them when it really began to start in the 70's. It just did not hit the field until much , Much later...

But I could list a lot of people that were wonderful people.

Pastor Gary

Amazing

Postby Pastor Gary » April 24th, 2009, 1:20 am

After a day and numerous views, I have one name listed, and that one name is not a current leader or influencer but a historic name from the past

If we have no progressive, dynamic leaders serving anywhere we are in big trouble - but I don't believe that at all.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Here's a couple current good ones.

Postby scooter » April 24th, 2009, 1:32 am

E. C. McKinley and H. E. Cardin
What we need here is a good revival! lol

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » April 24th, 2009, 3:54 am

Here are a few hours for you to listen to...

Pastor Jim Kelly in Ohio
Pastor Ritchie Ables in MS
Pastor Philip A. Lawson
and
GP Sam Clements
Listen Day 1, 2, and 3 Revivals

In my personal dealings.. these men get it. :lol:

Men that left COGOP.. Tom Jones of Oklahoma.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

rjjunior
700+ Posts

Postby rjjunior » April 24th, 2009, 7:55 am

Pastor Gary, are you fishing for a compliment? Okay. I'll submit your name:

Pastor Gary!

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » April 24th, 2009, 8:51 am

rjjunior wrote:Pastor Gary, are you fishing for a compliment? Okay. I'll submit your name:

Pastor Gary!

Well since you tossed PG name in the ring, i'll add my 02cents in.

Seriously, I think the day will come when PG walks the hallowed halls of IQ. and not just a visit.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Pastor Gary

No

Postby Pastor Gary » April 24th, 2009, 10:03 am

rjjunior wrote:Pastor Gary, are you fishing for a compliment? Okay. I'll submit your name:

Pastor Gary!

No. I am not. I am looking ahead toward a research paper/project I anticipate before I finish my Masters and am playing around with some ideas, one of which would involve identifying such leaders within my own denomination and defining the things that set them apart as influencers, progressive, etc.

I have my own short list, but wanted to see if those were just my own perceptions or they were shared by others. I appreciate the compliment and am honored to be named among such, men, but I know my limits! :lol:

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Postby Dr. Ron » April 24th, 2009, 10:04 am

Paul, as for PG walking the hallowed halls of IH, I pray for him to be shielded from that experience. I think God loves him more than that......lol

I know the older men and women....none of whom would be considered now. Harrison Price, Harry Lee Moore, Tom Duncan, Hank ONeal, M S Curry, and I could go on.....including Grady Kent...

The COGOP had it's greatest growth in their era. It was the men of the "fire" of denomination.

All things have a birth a life and a death....

Since PG is studying at Fuller, he knows this already. Denoms begin as movements. The fervor of the movement is instilled by the first generation to the next who take it to another level of organization and "fire"...for the vision. By the third generation, the denominational standards replace the "fire" and by the fourth generation, it becomes a maintenance progam.

Sadly, few denoms survive the maintenance mode. They begin a regression of selling off property to pay for program i.e. The Church of the Bretheren. They had the largest mission program of their day and had to canibalize their organizational holdings to maintain their programs.

While I am not trying to highjack the thread and write an epitah of the COGOP, I am saying that what got it to where it is, will not sustain it today.

COGOP and all denoms need to return to the fervor of the movement, recognize the importance of local church vision, and allow for individual inspiration.

Influencers.......hmmmmmm....
Dr. Ron

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » April 24th, 2009, 11:47 am

At a luncheson with Randy Howard sitting at my table at the International Assembly the last time he said that Bro. Zebua from Indonesia was the most progressive, forward-thinking leader we had in the CoGoP today becuase of the programs/ministries he's implemented in his country.

Zebua is our harvest partner and I have spent many hours with him and I agree with that.

I'll add some names to the list:

- Randy Howard (believe it or not!)
- Clayton Endecott
- Sherman Allen

I know their all in positions of leadership at the highest level but they got there for a reason...The are able to influence change.
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » April 24th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Okay.

Some of these influencers I know personally and others I am listing from perception:

John Pace
Tim Coalter
Scott Gillum (sp?)
Cathy Payne
Billy Wilson
Tom Jones (former)
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."Jim Elliot - Missionary Martyr

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » April 24th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Very small list and I would have to disagree with some of the names above. But anyways.......

Pastor Gary
Scooter

The 2 above are part of a very small group of forward thinkers within COGOP. Most of the others that I could think of have left the organization.
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

THE RAzEr
1100 Dalmatians

Re: List of COGOP influencers

Postby THE RAzEr » April 24th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:I am interested in learning who you would list among progressive, influential leaders in the COGOP today. They might be Pastors, Overseers, General Appointees, former leaders, or just plain folks who are opinion leaders, are visible, or are those who "get it.

Fred Fisher, Sr. is still living. he may not be a person of power who influences what is happening dailly. however, the changes the COGOP has experienced tooked place as he was on Powerful assembly Committees, national USA Prsb., and General Overseer.

I can say without reservation, Fred S, Fisher, Sr. is one of the greatest men I have ever known. i have known him for over 48 years.

When I was a small boy, the other Pastors at the Conventions might have been doing other things, but the fisher were working to make it good for others. I remeber at 9 years older wanting to help Bro Fisher stack chairs and fry chichen so people could eat.

This people are servants. This is why he became great among us. The first church he Pastor (if I recall correctly had 3 members).

One of the great honors of my eternal existence is I got to work as a Pastor under a Shepherd State Overseer named Fred Fisher.

I can remember almost every message I ever heard him Preach.

You may catch a drift! I think he is a great man and a great leader.

Ray

THE RAzEr

Hinn may lay an egg, a Dollar may not be worth two cents, ERekA might be a Star in a Top Hat, Copeland-Hagin may be like a can of snuff in some rich dude's back pocket, but I'm still Pentecostal to the bone.

Pastorbps
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Pastorbps » April 25th, 2009, 7:04 am

What is the criteria for someone being considered "Forward thinking?"

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”