Centripetal or Centrifugal?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » September 1st, 2009, 3:18 pm

I believe a closer look at the OT and in general the People of God were supposed to bring the God-relationship to the nations, not internalize it.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: Okay

Postby paul » September 1st, 2009, 3:26 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:
Russell Roberts wrote:I'm still waiting for Pastor Gary to weigh in.

Let me ask a clarifying question...

Was the role of God's chosen people in the Old Testament centripetal or centrifugal?

‘Mission in the Old Testament was centripetal (moving towards the centre). Now mission becomes centrifugal (moving away from the centre)’ But it also retains a centripetal character, as people are drawn to the community among whom Jesus is present (Matt 28.20). ‘The community moves out across the globe (a centrifugal movement), all the time drawing people to its Lord through its common life (a centripetal movement).’

One might say that the drawing to the center in the O.T. was the drawing of the coming messiah and the promise of the father. Reaching that ultimate with the birth of Christ and the coming of the Spirit.

The mission now is to speak gospel words and do gospel works to display the worth of God to the world. But we are also seeking to be ‘a Jesus-centered community’ that will draw people into its common life.

So, the church mission is both centrifugal (moving out) and centripetal (drawing in).
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

stevenson
I can see clearly now!

Postby stevenson » September 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm

To answer your first question, I lean more towards centrifugal. We're doing a whole series on becoming a missional church, great stuff!
"No, I am just telling you what the Word says" -Vestal Goodman

Oneway Ministries

Russell Roberts
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Russell Roberts » September 1st, 2009, 3:30 pm

Paul, this reminds me of what I think of as inaugerated judgment. Each time the gospel is announced, there is a mini-eschaton. A decision is made that either joins or seperates one from the 'in group'.

As C.S. Lewis says - the keys to hell are locked from the inside.

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Centrifugle..

Postby Dr. Ron » September 1st, 2009, 5:35 pm

All one has to do is read the great commission and the great commandment...that should settle the debate....

I love seminary.....it is sooooo thought provoking.....wow...

When I went to Emory in Atlanta they actually asked if jesus could have decided not to be crucified? I just yawned and went back to sleep...

I am not playing...I do love seminary...but it can get interesting at times the way some of the material is meant to generate thought.....

Good question.....though....and you all got it right...
Dr. Ron

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Re: Centrifugle..

Postby Pastor Gary » September 1st, 2009, 6:01 pm

Dr. Ron wrote:I am not playing...I do love seminary...but it can get interesting at times the way some of the material is meant to generate thought...

And I just saved you $1,300 tuition.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.

Centrifugle..

Postby Dr. Ron » September 2nd, 2009, 12:50 pm

And I appreciate it....but I had that class already....and my answer was correct then too....)):):):)
Dr. Ron

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”