Page 1 of 1

Shroud of Turin

Posted: February 5th, 2010, 8:57 am
by DeWayneTN
Has anyone done much study on it? I remember there was some buzz about it when I was a kid and then with the carbon dating thing, it seemed to fade away. I just got an early copy of a book yesterday and the writer really presents some pretty compelling evidence why he believes it's authentic. Just wondered what your thoughts were. I can't break the information embargo on the book but can talk about what has already been discovered/discussed.

Posted: February 5th, 2010, 9:29 am
by MacUser
Just think if it actually... loosed him and set him free! Or you could look at it as why would you want to hold onto bondage? Jesus dropped it and flew!

I actually get more excited just dwelling on HIS amazing Grace. IF this book after all is established points back to Jesus and His incredible New Covenant.. then it'll be a fantastic read.

Posted: February 5th, 2010, 9:47 am
by DeWayneTN
Mac, I agree. When I was a kid, we dismissed the idea of this because there was a fear that it would generate more attention on it than Christ. You don't worship a sheet or pray to it. However, reading this book, I became way more engrossed in the sacrifice He made for us and what an incredible resurrection that took place. It definitely is all about Jesus.

Posted: February 5th, 2010, 10:10 am
by CantBCoy
Problem I have always had with the shroud comes from my understanding of OT prophecy concerning Christ. (Isaiah 50:6) I was always under the impression that his face was marred. Open to other thoughts on this, just sharing my understanding.

Posted: February 5th, 2010, 10:41 am
by DeWayneTN
Good point.

Posted: February 6th, 2010, 6:09 am
by RamboPreacher
the science is gaping. i have talked before about carbon dating and the limitations, these are things that don't get portrayed to the "lay community". without re-posting a technical descriptive, let me just say that the dating was radio CARBON dating.

there are many assumptions, and from what I read the carbon dating that was allowed; nothing I was able to get my hands on for those reported dates, included any attempt to try to calibrate with the fact that it had been in and through at least one fire. Fire, you know, where there is lots of carbon that would be added to and around the artifact. Maybe there were, but I haven't seen any attempt at that.

so, additional carbon from a fire, contaminating the artifact would, then increase it's reported age, because the c12 and c14 ratio's are no longer a constant to produce a range for calculation. (not to mention all the touching and handling of the artifact, which would do the same thing.)

Posted: February 6th, 2010, 6:46 am
by DeWayneTN
Rambo, I think you'd be interested in this book.

Posted: February 6th, 2010, 9:00 am
by TW
As an artist who would be interested in the techniques of forging the shroud, this is what I find most interesting.
Image analysis by scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory found that rather than being like a photographic negative, the image unexpectedly has the property of decoding into a 3-D image of the man when the darker parts of the image are interpreted to be those features of the man that were closest to the shroud and the lighter areas of the image those features that were farthest. This is not a property that occurs in photography, and researchers could not replicate the effect when they attempted to transfer similar images using techniques of block print, engravings, a hot statue, and bas-relief.

Heller, John H. Report on the Shroud of Turin. Houghton Mifflin, 1983.


TW

Posted: February 8th, 2010, 8:16 am
by Full Quiver
Cut it up and sell it as prayer clothes. 8)