Why you live where you live....

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » March 10th, 2010, 7:56 am

I have lived at many places across this country. Born and raised here in northwest Al., been in Michigan when I was real small, lived in Dallas Texas for a while growing up, spent some time Ga, live in So. Al., in the Cleveland,Tn. for some time. Lived in Culman and Guin Al. and 2 years in Hawaii. Spent some time at Fort Dix and Alberdene Proving Grns at Churchville Maryland.

I have found that home is where my wife and I lay our heads on our pillows at night. I have found good point for just about each place. I count it a joy to have been there, but my roots and family are mostly here and that gives this place an edge.

Right now my heart leaning toward Bethal Alaska where my daughter, son-in law, and that 7 month gran baby are living.

I think that most of us live where we live because of about 3 different reasons: 1. being comfort 2. Family 3. Jobs. I think that at times anyone of these could blend with any of the others. My thoughts.
God Bless

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » March 10th, 2010, 1:34 pm

As much as I hate to agree with oldtimer on anything, I must agree with his three reasons for living where we do. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the last 26 years I have lived in the Nashville area. Reasons, work and they speak a version of English around here. Something that is hard to find in my native Miami. :lol:

Now that I'm retired I'm moving to North Georgia. Reason, cost of living. It's that simple. :$C:

The only family that I have left is my sister, and If I moved to Florida she wouldn't let me do what I really want to do. *Buy a sailboat and sail around the Caribbean being the crusty old American everybody hates.* [-X

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » March 10th, 2010, 3:38 pm

TW Posted:

As much as I hate to agree with oldtimer on anything, I must agree with his three reasons for living where we do.

Why TW, I'm honored you old goat :lol: :coffee:
God Bless

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » March 10th, 2010, 4:47 pm

I live in Florida because I hate cold weather. I have never lived anywhere but in South Florida until I moved to Melbourne in 2004. I moved because it was too crowded and the cost of living was too high. I moved to Melbourne because I had a step-son here and my daughter and her husband were moving up to Edgewater which is about 1 hour north of here (there was no work for me in that area).

To set the record straight, I never told TW that he couldn't buy a sailboat and sail around the islands. I just reminded him that at his advanced age and with his health issues, it would not be the smartest thing to do. If he needed medical care it would be very difficult and expensive to get him back to the States. If you know TW, you know that he usually does exactly what he wants to do, but sometimes he does listen to good advice. :)
rjc

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Darling
Woohoo!

Postby Darling » March 11th, 2010, 4:11 am

We moved from Anacortes in the mid sixties for employment. Do miss the beach, but we are just a couple hours from ocean, mountains, family. As far as living in Washington: most beautiful country and I love the seasons. Yes, even the wind and the rain. It is home. And there is no place like home.

lady4jc
I can see clearly now!

Postby lady4jc » March 11th, 2010, 8:22 am

Was born in Mass. and raised in WV. I have lived in a few other places like Texas, Hawaii and Georgia while my husband was in the Army. Most of my family live in WV and to me WV is home. I love the mountains here and the people so I believe if I could choose anywhere in this world to live it would be right here in WV.

jinjer
Hey, hey, hey

Postby jinjer » March 11th, 2010, 10:07 am

I live in Huntsville, AL because of my husbands job. I would LOVE to live in Louisville, KY again. That will always be home for me. I have longed to move back for so long. I have lived in Huntsville for 20 years, but there will never be anyplace like home. As the years go on, I feel that I will never move back and am trying to become content here. I love my neighborhood and my church, but there will never be anyone like those friends that have known you and loved you your whole life.

Jinjer

oletimer
Da Bomb!

Postby oletimer » March 11th, 2010, 11:13 am

jinjer Posted:
I live in Huntsville, AL because of my husbands job. I would LOVE to live in Louisville, KY again. That will always be home for me. I have longed to move back for so long. I have lived in Huntsville for 20 years, but there will never be anyplace like home. As the years go on, I feel that I will never move back and am trying to become content here. I love my neighborhood and my church, but there will never be anyone like those friends that have known you and loved you your whole life.

Jinjer

jinger when I went into the service I left home and couldn't wait until I got back. In the mean time I got married and established a home with my wife, not a place but a relationship. When I did got a change to move back I found out that it was the same anymore. There is old saying "you can't go back home", and I'm incline to believe it. Going back may be nice but not the same.
God Bless

jinjer
Hey, hey, hey

Postby jinjer » March 11th, 2010, 11:26 am

jinger when I went into the service I left home and couldn't wait until I got back. In the mean time I got married and established a home with my wife, not a place but a relationship. When I did got a change to move back I found out that it was the same anymore. There is old saying "you can't go back home", and I'm incline to believe it. Going back may be nice but not the same.

Well, that may true in some cases. However, we got a little taste of living there after we got married. We lived in Louisville fro 3 years when my mom fell ill and passed away. I also stayed 4 months when my dad had his stroke. It was so comfortable. I know things will change, but it is always home. Jeffery and I have established a home (between us), we have no children, but Huntsville just has never felt like home.

Just my .02

Jinjer

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » March 11th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Jinjer, I totally "get you", Sis.

Although I was born and raised in the country outside of Birmingham, Alabama, Cleveland, Tennessee became home to me. Lived there from the time I got married - no immediate family within sight - for 22 years and loved it. But I always had a desire to live in Nashville and thought if I ever moved again (which I may never) , it would be Nashville. Besides, it's just a hop, skip and a jump from Louisville, which I also love. :)

Bottom line: Tennessee just feels like "home" to me. When I'm there, I feel like I belong.

Faith rider
Needs a hobby

Postby Faith rider » March 11th, 2010, 2:32 pm

No place finer than North Carolina.
May your golf ball land in the greens not the still waters.

Jennifer Smith

Postby Jennifer Smith » March 12th, 2010, 4:44 pm

TW, I think you should follow your dream. :)
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

Jennifer Smith

Postby Jennifer Smith » March 12th, 2010, 4:50 pm

paul wrote:
Jennifer Smith wrote:I ask myself that question sometimes.. WHY do I live in S. Indiana?

If I could relocate and maintain our current lifestyle, I would choose Northern California (Redding), Oregon or N. Washington State (Bellingham).

Great area. I pastored years ago in Chico Calif. just south of Redding. Great church there also Pastor Bill Johnson. Power moves of God happening all the time.

I did not know that, Paul. Sounds wonderful. When I was young we passed through on one of our bi-annual trips to S. California. It just "felt" peaceful there. Besides, it is beautiful and cooler and not as crowded as S. California, as I remember. Would also be closer to our family in Washington... but not too close. :) I have a feeling we will someday retire in Oregon.

Most of our moving decisions have been based solely on where God led us in ministry. It has been quite a journey!
..I press on to take hold of that

for which Christ took hold of me.

-Phil 3:12

rough_rider
I can see clearly now!

Postby rough_rider » March 13th, 2010, 8:56 am

We have lived in NE Ohio most all our lives, we lived in S.C., AZ. but we always end up back here . Everytime we leave State on vacation or whatever, on the way back home as soon as she spots the "Welcome to Ohio" sign she starts singing "Bula Land" :? . I'd like to move to Tennessee, I would even settle for southern Ohio.
Why do I live where I live? Cause my wife won't allow me to live anywhere else. :roll:
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of
The King.
ImageImage . Image .Image

rough_rider
I can see clearly now!

Postby rough_rider » March 13th, 2010, 9:04 am

jinjer wrote:I live in Huntsville, AL

Jinjer

I have a cousin that lives in the Huntsville area. Tim & Susan Sturgill
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.

Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of

The King.

ImageImage . Image .Image

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”