Pastors: want to join us?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Pastors: want to join us?

Postby Pastor Gary » February 9th, 2012, 1:46 am

I am pretty excited about the coming 5 months. Lots of research (http://www.spirituallifesurvey.com/) has shown that the one single factor that helps move people from exploring Christ to being Christ-centered is getting them to engage the Word of God and reflect upon scripture.

We have adapted a tool developed by Scripture Union, the Essential 100 program, and we are are self-publishing our own daily SOAP Journal, with 50 passages from the Old Testament and 50 from the New Testament. We will start the first Sunday in March, and it will take us through July, with weekend sermons coordinated with the week's theme.

Here's our own Journal:

It is a 128-page, 5.5 x 8.5 perfect bound book designed for SOAP Journaling. Don't have the exact final cost per book yet, but it's looking like about $7/each.

One of the things we are most excited about is having the entire church reading the same daily devotion passage, journaling and praying, and meeting in small accountability groups during the week to share insights from their journals. Our Children, Youth, Men's Bible Study and other groups have all aligned their plans to be part of this.

If your church would like to jump on board, we'd love to increase our order quantity and have you track along with us.

The same series of passages can be read as daily devotions (minus the SOAP Journal) at http://www.youversion.com/reading-plans ... ntial-100/
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Pastor Gary

By the way...

Postby Pastor Gary » February 9th, 2012, 1:52 am

The book is not real REUNION specific -- pretty generic, except for a tiny REUNION logo in the lower left of each 2-page spread (all even numbered pages) and a small logo on the lower back cover.

We intentionally used a cover photo shot by my son in Alabama to keep it from being all palm trees and beaches.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » February 9th, 2012, 4:34 am

I love this. This is, to a large degree, what we're doing in Radical U (with all credit for the curriculum going to Reformers Unanimous, of course).
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Pastor Gary

Clarification

Postby Pastor Gary » February 9th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Let me answer a question that came up: There are NO DATES on the pages at all. The pages are numbered, and the daily passages are headed by "1/100" etc. at the top of each page so you know what day out of the 100 day reading plan you are on, but it could be started on ANY random date at all.

There was some indication to there might be interest, but March was too soon to get the ball rolling, so I wanted to clear that up.

Pastor Gary

The books look great

Postby Pastor Gary » February 23rd, 2012, 12:43 am

I am very pleased with the way the devotional journal books came out!

Jennifer Smith

Postby Jennifer Smith » March 16th, 2012, 4:15 am

I would like one! How can I order?

This year at work myself and several other ladies have started a Bible study. Right now, each lady takes turn preparing a lesson, which is great, but, do you think this would work for a group study? (We have about 30-40 minutes so it's more of a devotional/ prayer time).
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”