Facebook -- wow.

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

dolfan
Established Member

Facebook -- wow.

Postby dolfan » May 22nd, 2012, 4:16 am

Hope nobody here bought into the IPO last week. I don't identify with Warren Buffet in many ways other than that I'm a white guy :D, but when he said a couple of weeks back, "I don't buy what I don't understand. I don't understand Facebook," I only nodded. I understand what it does, of course, but I don't understand how it proposes to make money. I seldom (as in almost never) click on ads and I really don't know why anyone else would.

My first knowledge of Facebook happened on this board when Shellie (I think it was Shellie) mentioned she was using Facebook in a post on a thread about MySpace. (MySpace? What's MySpace!?! :D ) It was trashy, and Shellie mentioned Facebook as a safer and more fun alternative. I kept a personal page briefly then deactivated it.

As far as I can tell, other than tweaks in features, and the fact that the whole human race has joined it in one way or another, Facebook is pretty much what it was -- a place to post and view "whatcha doin'". I don't understand how anyone expects to make money on that. Unless, of course, you're an ad clicker and online order-er through those ads.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Facebook -- wow.

Postby Paully_44 » May 22nd, 2012, 8:54 am

dolfan wrote:Hope nobody here bought into the IPO last week.

I was seriously tempted. But thankfully, I held off. I still may pull the trigger depending on how it does over a quarter of trading.

dolfan wrote:As far as I can tell, other than tweaks in features, and the fact that the whole human race has joined it in one way or another, Facebook is pretty much what it was -- a place to post and view "whatcha doin'". I don't understand how anyone expects to make money on that. Unless, of course, you're an ad clicker and online order-er through those ads.

The communications company I work for has dedicated call center resources that handle only Facebook inquiries. I only heard about that after our year end "this is how we did and where we're going" type calls.
Let the wild rumpus start!

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » May 22nd, 2012, 8:55 am

Well Zuckerberg obviously made a pretty penny off of FB BUT how do you value such a product or business and if it goes belly up then what do investors get?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher

Postby RamboPreacher » May 22nd, 2012, 8:59 am

after a loss of several thousand over the course of the years of attempting to invest in .COM's (not just during the .com-fiasco years), I have personally come to the conclusion that I will refrain from them. - period.
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

MacUser
Established Member

Re: Facebook -- wow.

Postby MacUser » May 24th, 2012, 5:24 am

[quote="Paully_44"]

I was seriously tempted. But thankfully, I held off. I still may pull the trigger depending on how it does over a quarter of trading.

I bought it. Just for fun to watch it go down in flames. :lol:
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

Full Quiver
--== J2 ==--

Postby Full Quiver » May 25th, 2012, 2:49 am

You don't use Facebook do you MAC? You don't have an active account do you?
I have piped unto you, and ye have not danced!

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”