2014 General Assembly...

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

2014 General Assembly...

Postby Phil Hoover » October 1st, 2012, 4:41 am

ORLANDO, FLORIDA...

Disney World will get some more CHURCH BUSINESS, I see.
There is a ROCK between me and a hard place. His name is JESUS.

paul
I can see clearly now!

Re: 2014 General Assembly...

Postby paul » October 1st, 2012, 6:18 am

Phil Hoover wrote:ORLANDO, FLORIDA...

From an outsider...."Seems like trying to move forward while looking in the rearview mirror" Still a South Eastern Organization at heart :(
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

VolPastor
Needs a hobby

Postby VolPastor » October 1st, 2012, 8:45 am

I think Central and South America will disagree with you, as they are very excited about a Florida venue.
VolPastor

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » October 1st, 2012, 9:17 am

VolPastor wrote:I think Central and South America will disagree with you, as they are very excited about a Florida venue.

Hope you are right and I am wrong. Hope it is the best and largest ever.....I just see lip service as to a real heart change of direction for the organization.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting

and preserving yourself.

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Phil Hoover » October 1st, 2012, 10:14 am

Paul,

Will it really be that much cheaper/less burdensome for the saints in Central /South America?

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » October 1st, 2012, 11:29 am

Orlando is an excellent choice. Easy to fly into, very much an international city, eager for our business. It is a top tourist destination for people around the world. Plus, as I've said before, more people will bring their entire families, building a vacation around it.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

VolPastor
Needs a hobby

Postby VolPastor » October 1st, 2012, 2:52 pm

Phil - DeWayne's comment is right on target.

I normally do not post that much on this forum, but let me share my feelings about Assembly site selection. COGOP's Vision 2020 is a global vision that highlights our core values of prayer, the harvest, and leadership development. The test of this vision is not in the location of this five day event every two years. The test is what we do with the other 625 +/- days. The Assembly, while important, is only one small piece of this global ministry. There are events of all types that take place all over the world in the days and weeks that the Assembly is not in session. The delegation that gathers in Orlando in 2014 will only represent a very small percentage of our worldwide membership, but I hope we can celebrate the progress made in South America, Central America, North America, Asia/Oceania, Caribbean, Europe/Middle East/CIS, and Africa.

We are never going to make everybody happy with the site selection, but I will say the positive feedback for Orlando outpaces anything that I have seen before. I would like to see an eight year rotation that moves from Southeast to Middle America to the Western US and then to ??. Time will tell. . .

My two cents worth. . .
VolPastor

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

My friends

Postby Phil Hoover » October 2nd, 2012, 3:15 am

in the Church of God and the Church of the Nazarene have both LOVED Orlando when they've met there for their respective General Assemblies.

I'm just wondering if it will be more convenient for the South/Central American nations...

VolPastor
Needs a hobby

Postby VolPastor » October 2nd, 2012, 3:57 am

It is our belief that a Florida venue works well for Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. It is a location that has great international appeal.
VolPastor

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Phil Hoover » October 2nd, 2012, 4:26 am

VolPastor wrote:It is our belief that a Florida venue works well for Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. It is a location that has great international appeal.

Would Mexico City or Port Au Prince have that same appeal?

VolPastor
Needs a hobby

Postby VolPastor » October 2nd, 2012, 4:48 am

Have they opened a Disney World in either of those locations? :) The amenities that Orlando has to offer is a big part of the appeal and a big reason there is such enthusiasm over this selection. Orlando is also a city that is well equipped to serve international visitors.

Mexico City or Port Au Prince did not submit a bid for the Assembly, so I cannot compare apples to apples - the cities, venues, and what they have to offer.
VolPastor

TW
Established Member

Postby TW » October 2nd, 2012, 5:38 am

Phil,
The safety of the members attending should always be a concern for the organizers. Mexico City and Port Au Prince both would expose those members to a much higher risk for being the victim of criminal activity. While there is is no place on earth that is completely safe, Orlando is a much safer environment.

TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

family

Postby dawgs10 » October 2nd, 2012, 5:53 am

finally, an assembly that I don't have to cancel a vacation and time with my family to attend. I will be there together with my family for the first time ever. Why, because my children have something to do. Looking forward to it and I am so glad this decision was made.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » October 2nd, 2012, 6:10 am

paul wrote:

From an outsider...."Seems like trying to move forward while looking in the rearview mirror" Still a South Eastern Organization at heart :(

As much as I hope to get a Disneyworld vacation in 2014, I would have preferred California.
Let the wild rumpus start!

dawgs10
The 1,000 Club

Postby dawgs10 » October 2nd, 2012, 6:13 am

Paully_44 wrote:
paul wrote:

As much as I hope to get a Disneyworld vacation in 2014, I would have preferred California.

Why? Do you live there or closer or is there something else about that location that you prefer?

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”