COGOP Leadership Transition

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » April 30th, 2013, 8:54 am

As an outsider now, I'm surprised that more things change the more they stay the same.

Having walked through family issues that Randy is now walking in, the COGOP has prepared to look forward instead of in my opinion to see what it's greatest need is right now, that of restoration.

Where is the ministry of reconciliation? No, the COGOP has chosen to throw out names to see who will be the next in line. No wonder God has and continues to call this body to repentance.

I hope someone will throw a life line to Randy and Bess and not simply discard them in their hour of need!

Just my .02 cents worth.
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » April 30th, 2013, 9:22 am

I am not aquainted with many of the leaders of today in cogop. To many years have past since I left. But with family and friends I still have a tiny connection.

Anyone on this board that knows me, Knows that I am all about missions and reaching the world and the remotest areas of the world with the gospel message and training. I know that cogop has made a tremendous impact globally over the past several years. I would not want to see that decrease. BUT, from my observation if the organization and the one at the helm does not focus more on the American COGOP not much will be left to reach the rest of the world.

I recently had a conversation with a deacon in the church (cogop) where Nancy and I both came to the Lord and where I started my ministry. The pastor is leaving and I asked the deacon did they have a replacement..His comment was that they will probably close the door, no one cares about the church. Now I realize that their is always two side to every story..but it points to a desperate need in cogop and other organizations concerning the American Church.
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting
and preserving yourself.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

WOnder why

Postby Pastor Gary » April 30th, 2013, 10:42 am

Rob wrote:As an outsider now, I'm surprised that more things change the more they stay the same.

Having walked through family issues that Randy is now walking in, the COGOP has prepared to look forward instead of in my opinion to see what it's greatest need is right now, that of restoration.

Where is the ministry of reconciliation? No, the COGOP has chosen to throw out names to see who will be the next in line. No wonder God has and continues to call this body to repentance.

I hope someone will throw a life line to Randy and Bess and not simply discard them in their hour of need!

Just my .02 cents worth.

And I find myself wondering why you have jumped to the (erroneous) conclusion that the Howards are being thrown under the bus. Randy submitted his resignation for the good of the organization and the good of his family, feeling that whether his situation ends in resolution or dissolution either will be better done out of the glare of the public spotlight. I agree. Add to that the travel expectations of those in senior leadership in any international organization, which amplifies any family problems that might exist, and it's a recipe for troubled homes.

Randy and Bess both have the support of their local church, their pastor, their friends at the International Office, a team of intercessors and extended family.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Re: WOnder why

Postby scooter » April 30th, 2013, 11:20 am

Pastor Gary wrote:
Rob wrote:As an outsider now, I'm surprised that more things change the more they stay the same.

Just my .02 cents worth.

And I find myself wondering why you have jumped to the (erroneous) conclusion that the Howards are being thrown under the bus. Randy submitted his resignation for the good of the organization and the good of his family, feeling that whether his situation ends in resolution or dissolution either will be better done out of the glare of the public spotlight. I agree. Add to that the travel expectations of those in senior leadership in any international organization, which amplifies any family problems that might exist, and it's a recipe for troubled homes.

Randy and Bess both have the support of their local church, their pastor, their friends at the International Office, a team of intercessors and extended family.

Response: I thought the same thing.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Re: Let the games begin!

Postby PastorP » April 30th, 2013, 2:41 pm

scooter wrote:I think Tim Coalter would be great in that spot.

LEAVE OUR OVERSEER ALONE! Now that I have quit shouting, there is no one that I feel would be better, but I don't want to lose a good overseer.
PastorP
Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » April 30th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Sorry it took something like this to "revive" Jude2 but glad to still have a place for healthy debate!
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

Rascal
Needs a LIFE

Postby Rascal » April 30th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I must agree with Paul. Somehow, COGOP has let the infrastructure of the church almost collapse. The Southeast U.S. is the rock of support for most fundamental Christian churches. Southern Baptist, COG, COGOP,and on. The next Overseer must restore this support or the church is going to collapse. It is wonderful to reach souls anywhere, but you can't do it without finances.

Our prayers are with the Howard family. They both are wonderful people. The devil is seeking whom he may devour and that includes those in leadership. Sometimes they are the one's he attacks the hardest.

I would not be suprised if the next overseer is from outside the U.S. I am not sure that would be good at this point as I believe considerable work is needed here in the U. S. church.

free
The 1,000 Club

Postby free » April 30th, 2013, 5:09 pm

I guess I just don't get how a General Overseer--whoever he or she (did you like that new twist?) may be has little if any impact on any local church. We do not look to Cleveland any long for inspiration on how to operate our churches.

If our American organization is collapsing it is not the fault of the General Overseer--it is the fault of the men and women on the "field" who have no vision for their churches.

God bless the man (or woman) who gets this position--IMHO you'd have to be a fool to actually want it!
It's harder to kidnap fat people!

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » April 30th, 2013, 7:42 pm

This whole thing makes me very afraid. I have seen so many homes fall as prey to various pressures in the past year. I am mad and feel so vulnerable. My brother. Friends at church. People I know or knew long ago. It is epidemic, and the causes vary. They are all spiritual. My wife lies asleep next to me now. Before she drifted off, we prayed for the Howard's, but we prayed for the Sheltons. That we might not become in any way less than vigilant in our own spirits, less than loving in our treatment of one another. These things seem to come from nowhere, but they are not from nowhere. They are from somewhere that, perhaps, we live unguardedly about. And, with all of the distractions and besetting sidetracks to which we all are prone, staying on guard has to become priority, doesn't it? Lord, help me. Help my wife. Help your children to see You and to remain so close to You. We need you every moment.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Postby scooter » May 1st, 2013, 1:33 am

PastorP wrote:

LEAVE OUR OVERSEER ALONE! Now that I have quit shouting, there is no one that I feel would be better, but I don't want to lose a good overseer.

Response: The way you keep him is not SHOUTING about how good he is. lol :lol: 8)

paul
I can see clearly now!

Postby paul » May 1st, 2013, 5:11 am

dolfan wrote:This whole thing makes me very afraid. I have seen so many homes fall as prey to various pressures in the past year. I am mad and feel so vulnerable. My brother. Friends at church. People I know or knew long ago. It is epidemic, and the causes vary. They are all spiritual. My wife lies asleep next to me now. Before she drifted off, we prayed for the Howard's, but we prayed for the Sheltons. That we might not become in any way less than vigilant in our own spirits, less than loving in our treatment of one another. These things seem to come from nowhere, but they are not from nowhere. They are from somewhere that, perhaps, we live unguardedly about. And, with all of the distractions and besetting sidetracks to which we all are prone, staying on guard has to become priority, doesn't it? Lord, help me. Help my wife. Help your children to see You and to remain so close to You. We need you every moment.

Amen and Amen. Thank you for this timely post
You cannot effectively love and minister to others when you are obsessed with protecting

and preserving yourself.

PastorEddie
Frequent Flyer

Postby PastorEddie » May 1st, 2013, 6:35 am

amen Bro. Paul
How Great is our God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Postby PastorP » May 1st, 2013, 7:03 am

scooter wrote:
PastorP wrote:

Response: The way you keep him is not SHOUTING about how good he is. lol :lol: 8)

Beg your pardon? I did not shout about how good our overseer is but the fact that I wanted him to be left alone. I fail to understand the logic of your post.
PastorP

Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) Listen for GOD's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.

scooter
--== J2 ==--

Postby scooter » May 1st, 2013, 9:44 am

PastorP wrote:
scooter wrote:
PastorP wrote:

Beg your pardon? I did not shout about how good our overseer is but the fact that I wanted him to be left alone. I fail to understand the logic of your post.

Response: It's complex. :shock:

The less people know how well he is loved the more likely it will be that you get to keep him.

BTW you shout when you type CAPS and you were saying he's a good overseer. If you want to keep him I wouldn't let anyone know how good he is. Now do you understand? No need for the drama.

Would you like a steam iron for your underwear? :wink:

PastorP
Hall Of Fame

Postby PastorP » May 1st, 2013, 10:01 am

scooter wrote:
PastorP wrote:
scooter wrote:
PastorP wrote:

Response: It's complex. :shock:

The less people know how well he is loved the more likely it will be that you get to keep him.

BTW you shout when you type CAPS and you were saying he's a good overseer. If you want to keep him I wouldn't let anyone know how good he is. Now do you understand? No need for the drama.

Would you like a steam iron for your underwear? :wink:

Please notice that I did not "shout" about how good an overseer he is, only to say to leave him alone. I then stated that I had quit shouting. I hardly need instruction on what all caps mean. Sorry if I offended you, but that is what I wrote.
PastorP

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”