Page 1 of 2
Need Help Buying Cell Phone
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 5:25 pm
by pastorables
Please help me make an informed decision in the purchase of my next cell phone. I am looking at T-Mobile due to low rates, yet, Cingular seems to have really good packages and incentives. Any other suggestions and reasons why you use your particular phone would be greatly appreciated.
pastorables
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 5:48 pm
by Psalm91
We just changed yesterday from Cingular to Verizon.
Cingular's plans are great, but we think that Verizon's coverage is better.
Coverage is a big incentive for us, because my husband is a pastor.
We had two plans and both our phones went dead at the same time. We didn't have insurance and their fixes were just more expensive than to pay for canceling contract and going to Verizon.
Plus when we went to the dealership (For lack of a better word.) , most of the employees were rude and people were leaving upset.
I enjoy having mobile to mobile on Verizon.
Hope this helps at all!
I know nothing about T-Mobile.
T-Mobile
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 6:03 pm
by Pastor Gary
I have T-Mobile, as does most of my church. Coverage area here is good, price is okay, free nights, free weekends, free Long Distance, free T-Mobile-to-T-Mobile --- It just works for us.
The deciding factors for me would be --
• Coverage pattern in your area
• Coverage in areas you normally travel
• All the "free" stuff added up
• What most in your circle use, so you can take advantage of any X-to-X free calls
• Price, of course (though they are all very closely competitive here)
• Service guarantees, if any, that might allow you to "early out" of a contract if the service stinks and is less than advertised.
• Phone freebies or deals -- we have had several FREE phone upgrades and discounts.
• Family plans that allow unlimited family calls or shared minutes.
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 6:55 pm
by Billy n NC
I use AllTell in NC..
Pastor G's Deciding Factors should be applied.
Current plan I have now is..
$49.95 1300 daytime minutes.. 8am - 9 pm M-F
Unlimited nites and weekends.
Unlimited Mobile to mobile Altel Family Both my Daughters are Alltel.
Unlimited Mobile to HOME (number of your choice) Number.
$20 for Wifes phone line .. We share the 1300 min. other unlimited details apply.
Both have Voice mail, Free Long Distance. Plan is Regional.. NC & SC once outside that area then Roaming charges apply. but I do not travel often..
We Dropped Home Phone Landline.. Wife has business line in home.
Billy n NC
Good point, Billy
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 7:12 pm
by Pastor Gary
I forgot to mention the "roaming" thing. I have a no-roaming-charge plan within Hawaii & North America, and used our phones a LOT during the mainland trip. Just as if we were at home. I also have a Verizon feature on the church office line for voice mail that says "If this is an emergency, press ZERO to be transferred to Pastor Gary's cell phone." Handy.
We also cut the landline from the parsonage as each one in the family has their own cell/own number on a family plan. (We have two extensions of the church office line in the parsonage and that is where we get our DSL circuit, so we didn't need the 'home phone' with the cell coverage.)
So if that works for you, take whatever you are spending on a land line (here is like $30-$35 / month!) and apply that to the cell phones and suddenly it looks like a much better bargain.
Re: Good point, Billy
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 7:48 pm
by Paully_44
Pastor Gary wrote:So if that works for you, take whatever you are spending on a land line (here is like $30-$35 / month!) and apply that to the cell phones and suddenly it looks like a much better bargain.
We did they same thing a few months back when Highspeed access finally became available in my area. No more landlines!! The only reason I had a phone line was for internet access. I have to have internet so I can connect to work.
For me? I have been in the cellular industry for the past 13 years. 9 with US West Cellular who became Vodapone who became Verizon. 4 years with AT&T Wireless who is in the process of becoming Cingular. I haven't ever had to pay for cell service. If I had to pay?? T-Mobile would probably be my choice.
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 9:01 pm
by forestwalker
You'll need to check with locals. Companies with good reception in our areas may have terrible reception in your area and vice versa.
Posted: August 12th, 2004, 11:05 pm
by The Martins
Verizon has a local calling plan in most areas for UNLIMITED minutes for 49.95 per month. The drawback is that you can only use the unlimited minutes in your local calling area. So, if you go out of town, you'll be roaming, which can be expensive. However, if those trips are few, you'll come out better in the long run. Check with local people about coverage areas. Their's is great in this area.
Posted: August 13th, 2004, 3:04 am
by ToJJB
We have Sprint PCS.
Our plan is $110./ month for the following:
1. Two phones with unlimited PCS to PCS.
2. 2000 anytime minutes.
3. Unlimited nights and weekends.
4. PCS Vision Pack.
5. Free high speed connection through my pcs phone.
6. Unlimited roaming and long distance.
We like the Sprint network, but if you are very far away from an interstate or major road, it has some coverage problems.
U S CELLULAR, all the way.
Posted: August 13th, 2004, 3:07 am
by Phil Hoover
I have used T-mobile, Cingular, and ATT---didn't like any of the three...and HATED T-MOBILE when I had it...
Have had U S Cellular for almost two years now...and THRILLED with their service, their reception, their equipment, etc...
I would HEARTILY RECOMMEND U S CELLULAR.
Phil Hoover
Chicago
t mobile
Posted: August 13th, 2004, 4:55 am
by Methusala
my daughter and i have t mobile and spend most of our time sounding like a commercial "can you hear me, now"? and not in a good way!! however when we are in a good coverage area, it is wonderful. My friend and her daughter have it and love it.
So, ask for a two week trial and then use it where you normally would. if it works then they have great options, service etc. Wish I would have thought of this before we got into our contract. Most services will give you an option to try and get out of contract if it doesn't work.
Wendi
Posted: August 16th, 2004, 5:06 pm
by Little Sister
*
Used to be with "GT Wireless" who changed to "Verizon"... been with them for about 7 years... seem to be pretty reasonable and honest. Once there was a mistake on my billing (Looong time ago) and they really did clear everything up fast and make it right again. And very RARELY (like I can count on 1 hand in the past 7 years) have I ever been unable to not "get a signal" or make a call... they've got mucho good connections!!
"Can you hear me now?.... Good!"

Posted: August 16th, 2004, 5:13 pm
by pastorables
Thanks everyone for your participation. I am leaning toward Cingular due to their merger with AT&T in St. Louis. I am not sure if this is a nationwide buy-out or not, nevertheless, this kind of joint venture makes for a powerful phone service.
Thanks,
pastorables
Posted: August 16th, 2004, 5:18 pm
by Joey
Just make sure you get a hands free model.

Posted: August 16th, 2004, 5:59 pm
by rough_rider
Alltel here, $45.00 monthly 600 anytime free wkends & nights and no roaming & no long distance charges...