Do you think this is a racist comment?

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Do you think this comment is racist?

racist
2
9%
not racist
19
83%
Unsure
2
9%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
Mole_J
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2434
Joined: August 22nd, 2003, 9:56 am
Location: USA,Virginia
Contact:

Do you think this is a racist comment?

Postby Mole_J » October 1st, 2003, 4:09 pm

I have heard a lot about this today. Rush Limbaugh made this comment on ESPN on Sunday:

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Do you think this is a racist comment?

I do not see this as a racist comment. It is a little long but Neal Boortz sums it up pretty good I think, took from his
website

HAVE THE COURAGE TO DEBATE THE STATEMENT

Make no mistake about this .. no mistake at all. The whole reason that Rush Limbaugh is under fire for his comments on Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is simply because he is perhaps the nation's most prominent conservative ... and a white guy on top of it all! Limbaugh is seen by the left as a huge, almost insurmountable threat to their designs on regaining control in DC.

Let's review just exactly what Rush Limbaugh said on that ESPN telecast:

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Do you need any further clarification of what Limbaugh said? Do I have to break it down for you? OK ... step-by-step:

1. Donovan McNabb hasn't been a very good quarterback from the beginning.

Anything racist there? If there is, I can't find it. Do we now find ourselves at the point where you cannot criticize a black athlete without being called a racist?

2. The National Football League has some social concerns.

Translation, there's a bit of political correctness in the NFL front office. I don't know if that's true or not. You tell me! Is there anything inherently wrong with bringing up the possibility?

3. Some sportswriters want to see a black quarterback do well.

Well now isn't that a shocking statement! Can you imagine that! A few weeks ago a female place kicker actually kicked a field goal in a Division 1A college football game. Do you think that it is at all possible that there were some sportswriters out there, maybe even some female sportswriters, who wanted to see that kick go through the uprights? Would that make these sportswriters sexist? So we find it perfectly reasonable to understand why a female sportswriter might want to see that gal kick that football, but you just can't imagine a black sportswriter wanting to see a black quarterback succeed? Come on, admit it. You went to government schools, didn't you?

4. Donovan McNabb has been getting more credit for the team's success than perhaps he deserves.

Maybe so, maybe not! I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to comment on that. I couldn't name any Eagles player other than McNabb .. and if it weren't for this story I wouldn't even be able to name him. I'm just not that much of a fan. But can't a question like this be addressed to literally hundreds of players in each of the four major sports?

So .. there you go. Rush's statement broken down into four easily understandable statements, none of which is the slightest bit racially insensitive, let alone racist.

And now ... along comes Tennessee Democrat Harold Ford to share his wisdom with us on this issue. Congressman Ford, who is black, says he doesn't know if Limbaugh should have included race in his statement. Tell me, how in the hell can you try to make the point that the media, feeding on political correctness, wanted to see a black quarterback do well without mentioning in race? Ford also says that ESPN should fire Limbaugh immediately for the comment. Go over the four segments above one more time. Now tell me just which one of those statements constitutes an offense worthy of a firing! Maybe it was just time for Congressman Ford to renew his victim credentials.

Limbaugh crossed a politically correct line. Only liberals are allowed to bring race into any issue. When liberals mention race it is always a symbol and indication of their undying love for and devotion to all who cannot claim whiteness. When conservatives bring race to the table it is always because they are closet racists and just want to keep their boots on the black man's neck.

How about giving Limbaugh's statement a fair hearing? Make your case that McNabb has been all-pro from the beginning. Convince us that the NFL never gives any consideration to the dictates of political correctness. Convince me that sportswriters would never root for the success of an athlete who shares their plumbing or skin color. Then you can explain how the Eagle's success is due to the brilliance of Donovan McNabb. But ... if your goal is to attack the messenger instead of to debate the message ... then perhaps there's a place for you on the editorial board of The Washington Post.


I just noticed from Drudge:

BLITZ ON RUSH LIMBAUGH TO INTENSIFY ON THURSDAY WITH CHARGES OF DRUG ABUSE...

AFTER DAY OF INTENSE MEDIA BASHING ON LIMBAUGH SPORTS QUOTES /// NATIONAL ENQUIRER TO ALLEGE IN BOMBSHELL REPORT: 'RUSH LIMBAUGH IN DRUG RING'... HOUSEKEEPER WORE WIRE IN SET-UP, SUPPLIED PAIN PILLS TO DEAF TALKSHOW HOST... ENQUIRER ALLEGES ABUSE OF TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PILLS...

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS SET TO SPLASH PAGE ONE THURSDAY, NEWSROOM SOURCES TELL DRUDGE.


Sorry for the long post :(

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » October 1st, 2003, 4:13 pm

The modern Day liberal media have longed for any crack or cranny to bust Rush wide open to -what they consider- legitimate expose' (attack).

What he said was not racist in the slightest.

User avatar
Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3859
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:22 pm
Location: USA,Kansas

Postby Mike Vande » October 2nd, 2003, 3:09 am

Yes, it was racist to a degree, in that it made race the reason why this particular player was being given more of a break in some ways than he would have if he weren't black. It is a speculation on Rush's part, not something he can back up with anything but circumstantial evidence, or he would have already. So, it is a racist comment. Rush should have kept his mouth shut on that one. Unless he can find some material proof that McNabb has been given special consideration because of his race, he'll probably have to keep saying he isn't a racist till the day he dies. It was a stupid thing to do, about as stupid as Bill Clinton carrying on with Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office, and th consecquences will likely last as long, too.

Vande
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

White men can't jump? and this isn't racist.

Postby scooter » October 2nd, 2003, 3:29 am

Mike Vande wrote:Yes, it was racist to a degree, in that it made race the reason why this particular player was being given more of a break in some ways than he would have if he weren't black. It is a speculation on Rush's part, not something he can back up with anything but circumstantial evidence, or he would have already. So, it is a racist comment. Rush should have kept his mouth shut on that one. Unless he can find some material proof that McNabb has been given special consideration because of his race, he'll probably have to keep saying he isn't a racist till the day he dies. It was a stupid thing to do, about as stupid as Bill Clinton carrying on with Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office, and th consecquences will likely last as long, too.

Vande



Response: Hummmm.

I say its his opinion and its most likely true.

How long can we as a people fail to recognize the reality of reverse racism such as NFL teams must interview BLACKS for head coaching jobs.
Why is it "okay" to force such quotas, but not okay for a white person to say it out loud?

It is undeniable that some races receive preferential positions.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

User avatar
Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3859
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:22 pm
Location: USA,Kansas

Postby Mike Vande » October 2nd, 2003, 5:19 am

Dictionary definitions are sometimes concise to the point of inaccuracy. As I understand it, racism amounts to making value judgements based on race. As such, Rush's comment qualifies. And, one doesn't have to directly say that one's race is superior to another to denigrate a racial group or individual ofa particular race, which also qualifies.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know if McNabb is any good or not, and I wouldn't attempt to decide if Rush's comment is incorrect factually. What I AM saying is that Rush hasn't produced any factual basis for his statement (which is denigrating to McNabb personally and professionally, as well as to the integrity of the NFL leadership and the that of the press) that isn't entirely circumstantial. In doing so, I think he has tied an albatross around his own neck that may never go away.

Vande
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Reality.

Postby scooter » October 2nd, 2003, 5:31 am

Mike Vande wrote: What I AM saying is that Rush hasn't produced any factual basis for his statement (which is denigrating to McNabb personally and professionally, as well as to the integrity of the NFL leadership and the that of the press) that isn't entirely circumstantial. In doing so, I think he has tied an albatross around his own neck that may never go away.

Vande


Response: As far as the albatross, I don't think he will be the least bit concerned.

His statement is his expert opinion. His audience I'm sure understands and agrees. The government, press, the NFL (to please the first two)actively pursue their idea of racial equality. It is proven truth.

Thats reality. Reality is Rushs game.

Any time you side with Al Sharpton you might want to evaluate your stand.
What we need here is a good revival! lol

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Cnn Pole

Postby scooter » October 2nd, 2003, 7:13 am

Did Rush Limbaugh's comments about quarterback Donovan McNabb warrant his resignation from ESPN?

Yes 44% 45619 votes

No 56% 59124 votes
What we need here is a good revival! lol

User avatar
Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3859
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:22 pm
Location: USA,Kansas

Re: Reality.

Postby Mike Vande » October 2nd, 2003, 8:15 am

scooter wrote:Response: As far as the albatross, I don't think he will be the least bit concerned.


Well, hopefully not because he is zonked out of presciption pain killers.

His statement is his expert opinion. His audience I'm sure understands and agrees.


Yeah, but now his opportunity at a wider audience has been shot in the backside. Wrong opinion for the specific audience, wrong time to state it.

The government, press, the NFL (to please the first two)actively pursue their idea of racial equality. It is proven truth.


Yeah, well if Rush wanted to say so, he should have stuck to his radio show. The NFL, sponsors, and majority of the sports audeionce just don't want to hear it, they are too busy either providing bread and circuses or partaking in them to care. ESPN pretty much had to get him to resign if they didn't want to take a big financial hit.

Thats reality. Reality is Rushs game.


Yeah, well football seems to be ESPN's.

Any time you side with Al Sharpton you might want to evaluate your stand.


Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and Sharpton's clock stopped long ago. :roll: But I don't have to side with Sharpton to know when a foot has been firmly planted in a very public mouth. Ruch isn't always right, and he's even sometimes wrong. I listen to him pretty much every day, and while I don't agree with everything he says, I agree with a lot of it. This time he's shot himself in the foot. Maybe he knew he was going to, I can't imagine that he didn't know the flack was gonna get thick over saying such thing. But I think it was a bit hairier than he expected; I doubt he signed up with ESPN intending to resing within a month of starting.

Vande
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » October 2nd, 2003, 10:58 am

"White men can't jump"

Is this a racist statement?

Okay, this is how I see it. I think that we are so easily offendable that ANYTHING said by a white man in regards to a black man is misconstrued as racist.

I am not defending Rush here at all, but I simply think that the we humans are so hyper sensitive that people cannot even speak their opinions anymore without being called a racist.

Rush made an observation that was his opinion. Why is he automatically labled as making a racist remark? Not all remarks are spoken as racist, but some are merely perceived as racist.

I will make the observation that black men and women are getting jobs they are not qualified for to meet affirmative action. Because of this, white men and women are NOT getting jobs they are qualified for. Does this observation make me a racist? Of course not, but that won't stop someone from saying it does.

(BTW, I am fully aware that there are fully qualified blacks and underqualified whites.....I'll share that for those that will say I'm racist)

Why is it that black comedians and actors crack "white" jokes all the time and we not only pay to see the movies, but laugh our heads off at the jokes.

But, let a white man make a joke and he's a racist.

I know, I know, I'm veering off the subject..................
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

User avatar
mercy
Needs Decaf
Posts: 227
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 10:41 am
Location: NC

Postby mercy » October 2nd, 2003, 11:31 am

Vande and anyone else who reads

(Vande)I am with you totally on this one. (big surprise huh? :) ) Anyway, what was the purpose of the comment? Could his point have been made without referring to the color of Mcnabb's skin? Could it be that sometimes we are so bent on "supporting" the right that sometimes we can't see what is blantant and right in front of our face?

I also think that it is important to consider preception in this matter. When one speaks and is a communicator, as Rush claims to be (or whatever he is today), one MUST always consider what the PRECEPTION of that message will be. SO even if Rush did not mean for the comment to sound racist, he porved himself most foolish for his sheer lack of consideration of how his words might be interpreted. Plain and simple preceptions vary for many reasons. One can not please everyone. But one should take care to insure that one's foot does not end up in ones big ol' mouth.

Anyway, this little white girl has nursing school beckoning and to be honest, if ya'll reply to this, I likely won't reply back for lack of time. I hope, if you choose to, you will bash my statements anyway :) :twisted: :twisted:

ANd BTW racism is racism regardless of who says it, who spews it, or who believes it. To me, its sorta like calling a skunk a stripped kitty cat. Yet, it remains forevermore a stinky skunk. Hope this clarifies any ???'s

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » October 2nd, 2003, 12:51 pm

Well I talked to my friend Anthony about this and I asked hiw, as a Black man (with former leanings towards the Black Panthers and well engrained in the Democratic mindset) if he was familiar with Rush's comments and if he thought they were racist and also what did he think of those who thought they WERE racist.

He said he did not think they were racist at all, he understood the point Rush was trying to make and that those crying racism were "overreacting".

Just a little fodder for the fire.

Greggles
Moderator
Posts: 61
Joined: September 3rd, 2003, 5:41 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Postby Greggles » October 2nd, 2003, 4:36 pm

Well I don't think this is racist, I think it's the truth. Being a black guy, which I am, I think that to many people try to play the race card. We put people in certain positions because we fill they would look good there rather than being qualified to be there. We needed a black QB, they put him there. Like my dad says, people need to get up off of it and go on to something else.


Greggles**

User avatar
doris
1100 Dalmatians
Posts: 1123
Joined: June 30th, 2003, 5:42 pm
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby doris » October 2nd, 2003, 4:43 pm

If any of you have ever listened to Rush, you know he doesn't make a lot of excuses for what he says. He spoke what he perceived as a well and good analysis of a football player and this particular football player happened to be black. Well we all know what happens here. Rush will come out ok. The liberals have been after him for years.
doris



I am Blessed & Highly Favored

jdavis
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 653
Joined: September 13th, 2003, 11:23 am
Location: USA,Illinois

Postby jdavis » October 2nd, 2003, 4:51 pm

My 2 cents,

If you are a regular listener to the radio show, your know that Rush wanted this gig very badly. The NFL is one of his passions. He tried to get hired for monday night football a couple of years ago. Its not about the money. He has more than he will ever spend. I am surprised though that he folded so quickly especially after he bashed Bush and the Republican congress for folding on the Estrada nomination. There must be more than we know right now. Could there be some truth to the Enquirer story? I hope not!!! Say it ain't so Rush!!!

User avatar
scooter
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4976
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 3:58 pm
Location: USA,Florida

Postby scooter » October 3rd, 2003, 2:16 am

jdavis wrote:Could there be some truth to the Enquirer story?



Response: Now that would be an oxymoron! 8)
What we need here is a good revival! lol


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Login  •  Register