Deliverance Ministries - Info

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

I have...

1st hand knowledge of "Deliverance ministries" by being involved in a deliverance ministry
19%
1st hand knowledge of "Deliverance ministries" by attending a "deliverance" service in my area
13%
Indirect 1st hand knowledge by being approached concerning my need for deliverance from something
31%
No knowledge of "deliverance ministries"
38%

Total votes: 16

pastorables
--== J2 ==--

Postby pastorables » August 24th, 2004, 8:08 pm

I hope that isn't what OKCFC is doing, but I haven't seen anything to make me feel comfortable that it isn't either.

Pastor Bill,

What I can share concerning OKCFC Deliverance Ministry is that I know at least 4 people, at three different churches, who have went through the OKCFC Deliverance Ministry. My own wife was one of the four.

This is what I know for a fact: All four were prayed over with prayers of deliverance by the OKCFC staff who did not know them personally. All four have wonderful testimonies how that God revealed things to the prayer warriors that only He could have shared with them. I know that they tape the prayers for the recipient to bring home. I have listened to two of the tapes personally and find nothing strange or extra biblical. I am amazed, however, at the things revealed to the prayer teams that only God could reveal.

pastorables

Bexter
Regular

Postby Bexter » August 25th, 2004, 5:22 am

Kenya I can certainly understand you being upset about the situation at camp when your son said "I'm going to kill myself". I know he was probably just saying dumb things like kids do but although I'm not doing nursing as my profession now I am a Licensed Practical Nurse and I often work at church camps as the nurse. If I would have heard a child say that by law and to keep my License as a nurse we are trained to never overlook such statements but to take them seriously and take action. When I was taught this my very thinking was kids say all kinds of crazy things and were to take everything they say serious!

About deliverance ministry. I honestly don't know that much about it but I am very interested. I believe that because the Holy Ghost is so real and powerful the enemy wants to cause confusion so that no one is delivered and set free - get people afraid and thinking its all of the devil - while some of the ministries out there calling themselves deliverance ministries are of the devil I believe that there are those that are real and of God. We must pray that God will give us discernment. I believe that the church has just thrown out the baby with the bath water so to speak on many things. The bible talks about the word of Prophecy and that is another thing that we avoid because there are those that get in the flesh but I say its time that Discernment comes back to our church so that the gifts of the Holy Ghost can be in operation.

Scott - when you study the material from OKC Church tells us about what you find - I'm very interested in their school of deliverance.

Thanks

Becky

Phil Hoover
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Phil Hoover » August 25th, 2004, 5:43 am

Kenya,

For what it's worth....

1) I do believe in "deliverance"----

but

2) Most of the so-called "deliverance" ministries...are into "deliverance" exclusively....and that', in my opinion, isn't Scriptural.

I've seen the "spirit of....." cast out so many times...it would be funny, if it were not so tragic.

Everything from depression to caffeine...cast out from some super-hyped up person who used alot more zeal than wisdom.

The next question would be,

"Do we believe in bondages anymore?"

And the answer again would be "yes." But the Lord has power to free us/them/whomever from those bondages...when we call on Him, obey His Word, trust His Word, and come clean with Him and others...

The only thing worse, in my opinion, than someone who doesn't believe that bondages and deliverance are possible are those hyped-up, super-saints who belive that "everything" is a bondage, and therefore everyone needs to be delivered from "everything."

Be blest today, dear friend.

Phil Hoover
Chicago

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » August 25th, 2004, 5:44 am

The same stripe of folks who promote WOF superstition are also pushing the deliverance movement.

Generational curses. :roll: Baloney! Every problem that affects fallen humanity is somehow an evidence of demonic influence/oppression/strongholds, etc. Ridiculous and damnable, in my opinion.

Why can't the simplicity of the message of Christ just stand on its own?? Why do we need or want the spectacular? The dramatic? Isn't the road of life without Christ hard enough? Isn't the way of a transgressor already hard, without adding the murky and sensational "deliverance" issue into the mix when addressing them regarding spiritual things? Isn't the narrow way of walking with Christ fraught with its own peculiar difficulties and challenges without diluting it with half-cocked, half-baked theories of demonic influence that are drummed up by malicious nuts or seriously misguided and immature believers?

Why, oh, why?!?
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Little Sister
700+ Posts

Postby Little Sister » August 25th, 2004, 2:38 pm

Like Gerald said (almost a year ago) in the beginning of this thread... we were involved (meaning attended and participated) in a deliverance ministry while dating and early married. It was a small yet slowly growing group that used to meet in an old/vacant hotel. At the time, I remember thinking that it was genuine and the right place to be. But I started to question the purpose or benefit of this as involvement went from the casual prayer to more prolonged sessions of people just standing around you shouting "COME OUT! COME OUT IN THE NAME OF JESUSE!!" over and over while waiting for you to "manifest" in some way. This was very uncomfortable... especially if you didn't feel anything at all... and you're wondering if you'll have to fake a manifestation before they'll stop shouting at you "Common' Trevira, just let it go... let it GO... IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!"

I will admit that the very FIRST time I was prayed for by these people, I think something real and genuine did happen. There was a major release of pain and anger/rage that I'd carried and deligently saved and stored up from early childhood. I really feel that God was there and did give me healing from many things. Now, looking back I wonder was it that God still worked through those people even if they were abusing the principle? I feel most of them (the followers) were sincere and therefore that made for sincere and heartfelt prayers. But I believe the leader had major alterior motives (confusing ties with the middle east and repeated references to money, money, money)

Soooo, needless to say at this point in my life I haven't decided if the end result was the same as going into your room alone and having a good crying, snot-flinging, gut-wrenching prayer time and then feeling releif OR if it was really a genuine "deliverance". I think God allowed it to happen as He worked through it for me... whatever the IT may really have been. I do believe these groups do use the scare tactic to keep up membership because they warn that if you slip up and let down your guard that a thousand more demons will return in place of the one that was cast out... (which I know is scriptural in some sense) which leads to members being repeatedly "delivered" of things over and over again.. and people calling the "leader" at all hours of the night, upset (spastic) because they think they've failed/backslide in some way and have let a thousand demons back inside. And like Gerald pointed out, soon you start to question everybody and everything... from someone who blinks or stutters to someone who could be just having a bad day and snap at you and you'd think, "OH! They're possessed! They need deliverance from the demon of anger, the demon of rage, the demon of resentfullness..... etc!!!" :shock:

Glad we pulled out of the group when we did and feel we learned a lesson (first hand) and are now the wiser for it. I think these sessions may be of some use for suffering people BUT I do believe God can meet and heal a person in the same beneficial way during a church service/alter prayer... I don't think God needs all that hype of people screaming, spittle flying and demon personalization. Just my humble opinion!
Adults are just kids who owe money

Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”