Hymns Take On New Meaning

A place for games, chatter, and anything else that seems to fit.

Moderator: The J2 Mod Squad

soulsearcher
What's next?

Hymns Take On New Meaning

Postby soulsearcher » June 16th, 2009, 6:38 am

Do you know your hymns?

When you go to Church this weekend be sure to smile as you go through your Hymnals!

Dentist's Hymn...............................Crown Him with Many Crowns

Weatherman's Hymn.....................There Shall Be Showers of Blessings

Contractor's Hymn.........................The Church's One Foundation

The Tailor's Hymn..........................Holy, Holy, Holy

The Golfer's Hymn............................There's a Green Hill Far Away

The Politician's Hymn....................Standing on the Promises

Optometrist's Hymn.......................Open My Eyes That I Might See

The IRS Agent's Hymn...................I Surrender All

The Gossip's Hymn..........................Pass It On

The Electrician's Hymn...................Send The Light

The Shopper's Hymn........................Sweet Bye and Bye

The Realtor's Hymn...........................I've Got a Mansion Just over the Hilltop

The Massage Therapists Hymn.......He Touched Me

The Doctor's Hymn............................The Great Physician

AND for those who speed on the highway - a few hymns:

45mph...................God Will Take Care of You

65mph..................... Nearer My God To Thee

85mph..................This World Is Not My Home

95mph....................Lord, I'm Coming Home

100mph..................Precious Memories

Susie Hamilton
Established Member

Postby Susie Hamilton » June 17th, 2009, 1:31 pm

When I was a kid, my friend and I would sit in the back pew and use the hymnbook to converse during service. People would look at us strange when we would snicker. All they could see was us holding hymnbooks and laughing. :lol:
To God be the Glory.

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » June 17th, 2009, 5:57 pm

My sister and I did the same - in the old blue book... reading titles back to back and making sentences. Sometimes :oops: but very funny!

What a Friend
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...

Postby What a Friend » June 19th, 2009, 1:33 pm

soulsearcher that was so cute. We still sing hymns from the old blue books. I really still love the ole hymns. There are alot of elderly people who attend my church. That is all we would sing if up to them, but I mix in a little praise and worship in there to. There is a lot of experience in serving the lord in verses of the great hymns. I have a couple favorites. I guess "Jesus hold my hand" is my very favorite. What a Friend we have in Jesus would be next.
...If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. John 14:23

JanB
---=== J2 ===---

Postby JanB » June 26th, 2009, 9:13 am

What a Friend wrote:soulsearcher that was so cute. We still sing hymns from the old blue books. I really still love the ole hymns. There are alot of elderly people who attend my church. That is all we would sing if up to them, but I mix in a little praise and worship in there to. There is a lot of experience in serving the lord in verses of the great hymns. I have a couple favorites. I guess "Jesus hold my hand" is my very favorite. What a Friend we have in Jesus would be next.

I can relate, every time I cut back on the 'blue book' hymns, the complaints start coming. We do about half and half. It makes for a good balance and pleases most. Did you know that one of the biggest complaints the Assembly gets, is their choice of songs sung?
God Bless,
Jan

If someone were to pay you ten cents for every kind word you ever spoke and collect five cents for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?

soulsearcher
What's next?

Postby soulsearcher » June 27th, 2009, 4:45 pm

JanB wrote:Did you know that one of the biggest complaints the Assembly gets, is their choice of songs sung?

I'm not one bit surprised. Of course I'm no longer COGOP, but still attend every Assembly. It's weird, having been in the mainstream of Assembly music for 25 years. I've seen the pendulum of songs swing from one extreme to another. There used to be more balance.

I've noticed over the last decade that the music is overwhelmingly contemporary praise and worship (for lack of a better term) - and all done by the same team of singers and musicians, all of which is a big negative for me.

Please don't misunderstand; I like "praise and worship" music (all music in fact should "praise" and "worship" the Lord) and have learned that I can worship the Lord through many styles of music - if the message is true to the Word. But I also have high respect and regard for the old hymns and convention (blue book) songs. There is just something about them that touches a chord in the hearts of many believers, a familiar chord of their salvation experience.

The Assembly used to be a virtual roster of musical styles and personalities; solos, duets, trios, quartets, choirs, bluegrass, black gospel, steel drum bands, you name it. Not all were great, but many ministered with anointing and the crowds were moved to rejoice.

Simplicity seems to have gone by the wayside and production has taken center stage.

Return to “Just For Fun”