Homemade bread?

Who needs Paula Dean and Rachel Ray? We've got our own award-winning cooks right here at Jude 2.

Moderators: Sherry, The J2 Mod Squad

KBevangelist
Hey, hey, hey

Homemade bread?

Postby KBevangelist » November 14th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Okay, I have never tried to ever make homemade bread.

but it is my newest challenge in the cooking department, so do you have any good recipies?

KB

Susie Hamilton
Established Member

Postby Susie Hamilton » November 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Your wife is soooo lucky. :D :D :D
To God be the Glory.

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » November 14th, 2008, 3:53 pm

I have never made homemade bread but I have several receipes of my Mother. I will post a couple in a little while, I have had a serious back problem for the past couple of weeks and I can only sit for about 5 - 10 minutes at a time.
rjc

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

rjc
I can see clearly now!

Postby rjc » November 14th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Butter White Bread - makes 4 loaves - pan size 9"X5"x3"

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
4 tsp salt
2 cups of hot whole milk
4 eggs - beaten
4 packages active dry yeast
2 cups warm (105-115 degrees) water
12 - 13 cups all purpose flour

Place sugar, butter and salt in large mixing bowl. Add hot milk and stir to soften butter. Cool. Beat in eggs. Soften yeast in warm water and stir into the milk mixture. Add 8 cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out on floured board or cloth and knead until smooth - 8-10 minutes. Place in a buttered bowl - turning to coat all sides. Cover and let rise in warm place until dough doubles in bulk - about 1 1/4 hours. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Turn out on board or cloth and divide into 4 equal parts. Shape each part in loaf and place in buttered pan. Let rise, covered and in a warm place, until double in bulk - 45 minutes - 1 hour. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven 25 minutes or until brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped with fingers. Cool on racks out of pans.

As I was typing this I could see my 5"2' Mother kneading the bread and telling us about learning how to bake bread from her Mother. What wonderful memories this brings back.
rjc

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

KBevangelist
Hey, hey, hey

Postby KBevangelist » November 14th, 2008, 9:51 pm

I am going to try this. My wife may just get some fresh homemade bread for thanksgiving.

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you got to walk down memory lane

KB

Return to “Broad Backsides Recipe Forum”