math

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

do you like/love/hate math?

passionate about
3
9%
love
6
18%
like
6
18%
indifferent
7
21%
dislike
3
9%
hate
2
6%
hate with a passion
6
18%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
teach
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2829
Joined: April 25th, 2006, 6:14 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

math

Postby teach » September 21st, 2006, 6:44 am

I absolutely love math!

that's why I teach it. I find that most people can't stand it though.
what about you?

wendy k

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » September 21st, 2006, 6:50 am

I like it. I teach it. I'm not crazy about it. I mean only weird people love math, right? :lol:
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Postby Paully_44 » September 21st, 2006, 6:55 am

I graduated HighSchool with only 4 quarters of math.

Shop Math
Consumer Math
Pre Algebera 1 & 2



That is the extent of my math skillz. I thought I was smart at the time. Now I know better. I think my 4th grader has caught up to me.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
TW
Established Member
Posts: 8866
Joined: November 4th, 2004, 3:38 pm
Location: USA,Georgia
Contact:

Postby TW » September 21st, 2006, 7:00 am

Shellie wrote:I like it. I teach it. I'm not crazy about it. I mean only weird people love math, right? :lol:


Yep! :roll:
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

User avatar
KiMmY
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 435
Joined: March 23rd, 2004, 9:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby KiMmY » September 21st, 2006, 7:03 am

I loved math when I was in school but I could never do it well. That kinda stinks when you like something.
"GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S SPATULA!!!"

User avatar
EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--
Posts: 4706
Joined: September 5th, 2003, 5:05 pm
Location: USA,Missouri
Contact:

Postby EagerBeaver » September 21st, 2006, 7:07 am

Most math is pointless.

In my job I still have yet to find a use for any math besides simple arithmetic.

Pointless, I tell you. Waste of time.
Chris Brewer - My Website

User avatar
rev rick
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 317
Joined: June 1st, 2005, 3:20 am
Location: Yazoo City ,Mississippi

Re: math

Postby rev rick » September 21st, 2006, 7:35 am

teach wrote:I absolutely love math!

that's why I teach it. I find that most people can't stand it though.
what about you?

wendy k

I don't know how to cook it!! Do You like it baked? What about seasoning?
Even if it is (it's not) on my diet I can't handle it. LOL Rev Rick
P. S. What was the question? I must have lost my place.
IN CHRIST MERCY and GRACE
Rev Rick in the Zoo

~~~~~~\} Sword of the Spirit
@##### ]:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
~~~~~~/]Use it Daily!

User avatar
teach
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2829
Joined: April 25th, 2006, 6:14 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby teach » September 21st, 2006, 7:52 am

Amen! I'm crazy and I know it!

User avatar
dolfan
Established Member
Posts: 8016
Joined: March 17th, 2004, 1:25 pm
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Postby dolfan » September 21st, 2006, 7:58 am

I tolerated it in school. Took two years of Algebra in HS and a year of Geometry. Decided not to go with the pre-calculus/trig/calculus track --- not that I could've. In college, I took College Algebra at the local jr. college right out of high school. Hated the class, ditched it for the last month, didn't take the final and still got a D. I took it again at TC and got an A. The lady who came to TC campus to teach math was super, super nice and a good instructor. Can't remember her name. Like all math teachers in the days of chalk, she wiped her mouth a lot (something about chalk dust I guess that I always saw most commonly in math teachers.)

Nowadays, I think if I had it to do over, I'd be more apt as a math student. Accounting, primarily, I think is the most practical needed skill for most of us. Otherwise, though, I think I'd enjoy the calculations for aviation, astronomy and land surveying. I could see me being a civil engineer if I had the opportunity now; back in my college days, though, I would've flopped just from lack of interest.

I'm astounded at how bad young people are with it now. Go to Burger King, have an order for $6.14, give the kid $10.25 and watch his face go blank.
Last edited by dolfan on September 21st, 2006, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

User avatar
Jamais Vu
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 294
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 4:51 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby Jamais Vu » September 21st, 2006, 7:59 am

haha i voted that i love it.

it is more fascinating to me than most other subjects from school. without math, nothing could exist.

who put that they were passionate about it haha??? i do admit to owning a movie about pi, AND a book about pi as well lol.

User avatar
Darling
Woohoo!
Posts: 1417
Joined: May 13th, 2004, 9:01 am
Location: Washington

Postby Darling » September 21st, 2006, 11:10 am

Really like numbers, but no algebra,geo, etc.

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » September 21st, 2006, 11:27 am

I like the possibilities of math and the challenge of a problem, however, throughout my School education there was problems with the teachers who taught me math, one quit and we were taught by a string of substitutes, anothers father was dying and he couldnt concentrate, and at least two were elderly and taught through intimidation...more and more problems with the math teachers I had.

Consequently, math was my weakest subject and I had to take a remedial test before entering college (which I passed).

This of course instilled quite a loathing for math.

BUt I feel more confident today, encountering more and more 30 and 20 year olds that can't even add. In comparison, I am Lighting McQueen with my math skills.

User avatar
RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher
Posts: 12355
Joined: July 17th, 2004, 5:41 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Postby RamboPreacher » September 21st, 2006, 11:40 am

like it, understand it, but still use my fingers. :)
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

User avatar
teach
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2829
Joined: April 25th, 2006, 6:14 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby teach » September 21st, 2006, 1:35 pm

RamboPreacher wrote:like it, understand it, but still use my fingers. :)


so do I and I teach math!

User avatar
Susie Hamilton
Established Member
Posts: 7587
Joined: May 7th, 2003, 9:14 am
Location: USA,Virginia
Contact:

Postby Susie Hamilton » September 21st, 2006, 1:52 pm

I was good at math in school, even worked formulas backwards. But when I joined the navy they gave me a calculator. I still have it. I love it.....


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Login  •  Register