COGOP Members ONLY on this one!

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Based upon the people I know in COGOP I believe the percentages "FOR" and "AGAINST" changing our position on Divorce and Remarriage are closest to:

100% AGAINST any change.
3
4%
90% AGAINST change / 10% FOR change.
5
7%
75% AGAINST change / 25% FOR change.
12
16%
50% AGAINST change / 50% FOR change.
9
12%
25% AGAINST change / 75% FOR change.
17
23%
10% AGAINST change / 90% FOR change.
13
18%
100% FOR any change.
14
19%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
amydawn
Hey, hey, hey
Posts: 1804
Joined: August 26th, 2003, 3:48 am
Location: USA,Ohio

Postby amydawn » March 24th, 2004, 7:25 am

Did the person who voted "100% AGAINST any change" neglect to post their comments? Or did I miss it?

Who are you, please? And are you voting as a representative of yourself, or an entire congregation somewhere?

User avatar
turbotim
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2156
Joined: March 2nd, 2003, 5:11 pm
Location: USA,Mississippi

Postby turbotim » March 24th, 2004, 7:34 am

amydawn wrote:Did the person who voted "100% AGAINST any change" neglect to post their comments? Or did I miss it?

Who are you, please? And are you voting as a representative of yourself, or an entire congregation somewhere?


My thoughts exactly. I was wondering why they didn't say anything. At least where they were from and stuff....

Tim
Tim Cook------> Proud Daddy and Husband

Jesus is my ROCK!!

ImageImage

my space

User avatar
rjjunior
700+ Posts
Posts: 739
Joined: May 12th, 2003, 8:16 am
Location: USA,Washington
Contact:

Postby rjjunior » March 24th, 2004, 8:35 am

Pastor in Washington State. Voted 90% for change, as I see it. Of course, we're the liberal west.

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » March 24th, 2004, 9:38 am

I have already voted concerning my impression of the Nashville area. I just talked to the Vice Principal of the school I teach at (about an hour from Nashville). He attends one of the local churches here. He said that he feels that the majority of their church would not be for the change. However, the other church in town will be 100% for it. I just found it interesting.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Postby Pastor Bill » March 24th, 2004, 9:46 am

I am a Pastor in KY, and from what I have seen in the two years I have been with the CoGoP (previously CoG) I would say 90% or more for the change, at least right now, I have seen that change drastically when I went to Louisville in 2002, we then somehow were flooded with people from other areas who kept asking me "How do I voteif I'm against D&R?" Um, Sir we are voting on something completely on a different topic, D&R won't even be discussed at this assembly, but Yes I would get fries with that.

Talk about one track minds!!! :roll:

User avatar
darylscook
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 583
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 11:33 am
Location: USA,Mississippi

I noticed too

Postby darylscook » March 24th, 2004, 9:49 am

turbotim wrote:I voted 50/50 here. I'm not totally sure. But that's my guess. I'm a member and minister. Daryl, I didn't see a vote for the 75/25. It says (0). I voted earlier (7:25am or so), but didn't post yet. Students started coming in the door. On lunch at the moment. But anyway, God Bless.

Tim :D :D :D :D


Yeah! I noticed. I think my vote is the 100/0. I don't know how I did that. And the people in MS think that I am so computer literate. I can't even vote in this computer poll right :) . Anyway. right after I noticed that I PM'd Pastor Gary that I thought I voted 75/25 but somehow it did not work and I think that the 100/0 is mine. Hopefully he or someone can fix it.

Daryl
Daryl S. Cook, Senior Pastor
Pearl Church
The Church of God of Prophecy
Pearl, MS

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » March 24th, 2004, 9:52 am

Yeah! I noticed. I think my vote is the 100/0.


Whew, thank God, I thought someone had already rented a bus and brought in some people to vote.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Interpreting the poll

Postby Pastor Gary » March 24th, 2004, 11:05 am

In interpreting these poll results I, personally, will toss out any posts that are not followed up with who made them and where they are. I assume they are errors -- I have had two people so far contact me asking me to change their vote since they hit the wrong button.

If you see a number of votes for a certain percentage that are not backed up with a post saying "I am from __________ and most everybody I know..." You can discout them as posting errors, since posters were clearly requested to follow up. That is also the only way we can be sure only COGOP members are voting.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
rough_rider
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2251
Joined: September 9th, 2003, 4:15 am
Location: USA,Ohio

Postby rough_rider » March 24th, 2004, 11:25 am

I voted 25/75 for change, I think all in this area would like somekind of change, but there are about 25% of them that would pefer not to ok any change in membership in regards of d&r.
In the presence of Jehovah, God almighty, Prince of peace.
Troubles vanish, hearts are mended, in the presence of
The King.
ImageImage . Image .Image

User avatar
doris
1100 Dalmatians
Posts: 1123
Joined: June 30th, 2003, 5:42 pm
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby doris » March 24th, 2004, 3:08 pm

I voted 90 against and 10 for. Our church FOW has a number of older people. We desperately need young people, musicians, singers, the whole works to be involved, then I think we would see change.

I am one of the old ones and I still think till death do you part. Sorry!
doris



I am Blessed & Highly Favored

User avatar
AndyG
700+ Posts
Posts: 798
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 5:05 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby AndyG » March 24th, 2004, 4:37 pm

Based on attitudes around here, it is 50/50. Personally....

When that's a horse of a diferent color.

Oh yeah, I'm a member for 25+ years
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
- Abraham Lincoln

Image

User avatar
Joey
Da Bomb!
Posts: 910
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:16 pm
Location: USA,Kentucky

Postby Joey » March 24th, 2004, 5:23 pm

I voted 100% for change. I went that way because the perfection the COGOP organization currently seeks is not possible in today's world, to the point of shooting ourselves in the foot. We have slammed the doors in the faces of those who probably need us most long enough.
Another thought. Let them in because we are not the judge on the issue, let God take care of that - and if they say they are a Christian and there is some evidence that they are trying, that's good enough for me.
Those who say "no change" should drop the rock and walk away...and be careful not to trip over that "pole" on your way.

jdavis
Hall Of Fame
Posts: 653
Joined: September 13th, 2003, 11:23 am
Location: USA,Illinois

Postby jdavis » March 24th, 2004, 6:28 pm

I voted 75 for 25 against change but my personal sentiments are much like Firstson's. I worry that we do need to have some standard for divorce and remarriage. Even the four A's (abuse, adultery, abandonment, or addiction) would be a good starting point. I am definitely not ready for anything goes.

jdavis

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » March 24th, 2004, 7:10 pm

jdavis wrote:I worry that we do need to have some standard for divorce and remarriage. Even the four A's (abuse, adultery, abandonment, or addiction) would be a good starting point. I am definitely not ready for anything goes.

jdavis


My understanding is that we are addressing the definition of fornication, not changing the teaching on D/R. We are looking at a broader definition for fornication that is correctly (in my opinion) defined as any sexual sin.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
mercy
Needs Decaf
Posts: 227
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 10:41 am
Location: NC

Postby mercy » March 24th, 2004, 7:19 pm

I voted 75/25. And yep I am, as of today, still a Cogop'er. My vote was based on an overall assessment of Cogoper attitudes. Now concerning the local church I attend, it is 100% for change. But my pop's local church, in a more northern region, would likely have some major problems if a change occured. They are more 50/50.


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Login  •  Register