The Big Guns . .

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Your vote?

Poll ended at March 13th, 2007, 8:40 am

Hillary Clinton (D - N.Y.)
2
5%
John McCain (R - Az.)
16
41%
Barack Obama (D - Ill)
3
8%
Sam Brownback (R - Kan.)
6
15%
Bill Richardson (D - N.M.)
1
3%
Mitt Romney (R - Mass.)
5
13%
John Edwards (D - N.C.)
5
13%
Joseph Biden (D - Del.)
0
No votes
Christopher Dodd (D - Conn.)
0
No votes
Tommy Thompson (R - Wis.)
1
3%
 
Total votes: 39

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3688
Joined: December 14th, 2004, 10:53 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

The big guns

Postby Dr. Ron » February 20th, 2007, 7:59 am

In answer to the questions on Obama, I only know what I have read and that fairly extensively in Time, Newsweek and the like. I hope they are reporting correctly. I just saw a big article on him in People.....which of course is the slick version of the Enquirer.

As to a religios affiliation for a person to become president , I think the constitution speaks to this issue. Also , at one time in this country a man must prove his allegiance to God to even run for office.
In order to properly govern this nation one must be willing to accept it's foundational truths and act upon them. The presidency is not an elevation to royalty. He does not become king and impose his beliefs on the nation. He raises his right hand and solemnly swears (to whom) that he will uphold all the laws and rights and privileges of the people. The people are still the govenment.......not the politicians.

In order to properly do what he swears to do, he must be able to recognize the sovergn God. A muslim is taught that those who do not accept Islam are infidels and there fore not to be treated as equal to muslims. They also are strongly against women's and children's rights. A person of that religion has to be disqualified on those grounds and there are many more.

Given the fact that we are a christian nation (still over 80% of the people) I think it would be stupid for someone to run from that vantage point. He can't win. I know well you are trying to get me to appear racist or biggoted in this post. It is nothing of the sort. I believe that the constitution is the greatest writing of this nation. That and the Bill of Rights. There is not only no place where we see a "separation of church and state" but rather we see a real emphasis on God as our source of strength and His word as our guide for life. That is the kind of person the constitiution says is qualified.
Dr. Ron

User avatar
jason
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 121
Joined: May 25th, 2003, 6:36 pm
Location: USA,Alabama

Postby jason » February 22nd, 2007, 5:39 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I was girding my loins. ;-)

I know well you are trying to get me to appear racist or biggoted in this post.


Absolutely not and neither would I try to put words in your mouth. It just seems to me that as Christians we should be more sensitive to the truth of our statements. We may not agree with the politics of a particular candidate but we only weaken our position by making statements that aren't entirely accurate.

I don't know you nor have evidence to suggest that you are a bigot and/or racist. And, even if you are, that's between you and God.

In order to properly govern this nation one must be willing to accept it's foundational truths and act upon them.


What are the nation's foundational truths? Please know that I'm not trying to be argumentative in asking this, but I was under the perhaps incorrect assumption that, while many of the Founding Fathers were professing Christians (Anglicans mostly), our government was primarily based upon ideology from the Enlightenment and English common law.

There is not only no place where we see a "separation of church and state" but rather we see a real emphasis on God as our source of strength and His word as our guide for life.


It is true that church/state seperation isn't codified or technically necessary, but neither is the idea that the president must hold any particular theology. I wholeheartedly agree that a president with strong moral character is better than one without and that strong moral character can come from a deeply commited religious life. But, must that religion be one that you approve of?

At the risk of appearing to be an apologist for Islam, not all Muslims are the same. You should read about Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi) before rushing to paint Islam with a wide brush. It is sad and true, though, that Islam today appears to be dominated by small minded, hateful radicals. We should pray that God soften their hearts and open their minds. Of course, we should pray the same for ourselves.

Grace and peace.

Dr. Ron
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3688
Joined: December 14th, 2004, 10:53 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

The big guns

Postby Dr. Ron » February 23rd, 2007, 7:21 am

Jason, I have read the article you posted. You are buying into the idea of acceptance. Islam (from the Quran) speaks of the killing of those who are not Muslim. I have read that book .....have you? I don't care what an article says about "nice muslims"......I read their bible. It does not allow for an acceptance by this nation.

As to the founding of this country, one only needs to read " The Federalist Papers" to know the true issues of our foundation. We were founded solely on Judao-Christian principles. Look at the many ways in which the founding fathers displayed their beliefs on buildings and the like. And there were not " some who were believers" but rather the extreme majority.

Do I demand a president be a christian from my personal dogma? No , of course not. But I do believe that if you continue your study, you will find that the constitiution almost describes that those who serve must believe in the God of Christianity.

Again, I am not a racist.....nor do I oppose people who don't "believe like me" , but I do expect those who are elected by the people to be representative of the people. I do not have issue with a jew, but I don't think one would be able to govern well without being partial to Israel. So, certainly one who is muslim, would be partial to Islam. It would not be a good thing for this country.

As to my statements concerning B. Hussein Obama, I have spoken only what has been reported. I don't know him personally. I doubt if you do either.
Dr. Ron

User avatar
soulsearcher
What's next?
Posts: 3375
Joined: August 29th, 2006, 5:35 am
Location: USA,Florida

Postby soulsearcher » February 24th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Sorry, no can do ANYBODY on that list, so I will simply refrain from voting.

User avatar
RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher
Posts: 12355
Joined: July 17th, 2004, 5:41 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Postby RamboPreacher » February 24th, 2007, 3:19 pm

RamboPreacher wrote:I would currently refrain from voting.

soulsearcher wrote:Sorry, no can do ANYBODY on that list, so I will simply refrain from voting.

Is this one of those coincidences GC was talking about in that other thread?
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron

Login  •  Register