Ark Almighty ??

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Ark Almighty ??

Postby Billy n NC » June 6th, 2007, 1:29 pm

got this link in an email from Worhiphouse media


http://www.arkalmighty.com/


Glanced at it but not in depth.
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

See my post

Postby Pastor Gary » June 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Billy, see my post on the Evan Almighty review -- the website you reference is a spin-off of the movie, sort of a "random acts of Kindness" pay-it-forward, good deeds facilitation site.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
KiMmY
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 435
Joined: March 23rd, 2004, 9:42 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby KiMmY » June 7th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Jeff and I got to pre-screen that movie here in Nashville. It was a thing for youth pastors through the Christian radio station here. Family friendly. No cussing. No sexual content. A few off color comments but other than that it was great.
"GREAT GRANDMOTHER'S SPATULA!!!"

User avatar
Jennifer Smith
Moderator
Posts: 3745
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am
Location: USA,Indiana

Postby Jennifer Smith » June 7th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Was the movie reverent? Of God, I mean.
..I press on to take hold of that
for which Christ took hold of me.
-Phil 3:12

User avatar
MrDanger
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3699
Joined: March 2nd, 2004, 6:02 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby MrDanger » June 8th, 2007, 3:29 am

Yep.
"Students are encouraged to mingle with the midgets." - Mr. Jones' 1st Block Class

User avatar
Jennifer Smith
Moderator
Posts: 3745
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am
Location: USA,Indiana

Postby Jennifer Smith » June 8th, 2007, 8:32 am

Well, that's good to know! We had ordered the kit and got it in the mail yesterday. It included books and resource materials, a big banner, t-shirts, a hat and promotional items. We don't want to promote it yet though until we know more about what it is! I like their idea of sharing resources, like a Craigs List for churches. :)

The previews remind me a little bit of the "Oh, God" movies with George Burns. I'm not offering any comment on those, except that they left something to be desired! :)
..I press on to take hold of that

for which Christ took hold of me.

-Phil 3:12

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Jennifer

Postby Pastor Gary » June 8th, 2007, 12:08 pm

While the film does, in my view, treat the God-character with respect, it is a comedy. It is not a "Christian movie" and should be approached as a Hollywood attempt to be faithful to the Noah/flood/ark concept in a modern context. Don't expect Charlton Heston standing in a beam of beatific light with harps and violins. Think "comedy." There are animals (the kids in the audience went crazy laughing) and at least one pile of poo for laughs; if that offends anyone they likely don't own pets! :lol:
Last edited by Pastor Gary on June 8th, 2007, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Jennifer Smith
Moderator
Posts: 3745
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am
Location: USA,Indiana

Postby Jennifer Smith » June 8th, 2007, 7:16 pm

One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?

Forgive me for being so skeptical.. but after all it is Hollywood we're dealing with! I enjoy a comedy, but I wouldn't want to laugh at God's expense!
I don't mind a pile of poo, if it is for laughs. :)
..I press on to take hold of that

for which Christ took hold of me.

-Phil 3:12

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

No conflict

Postby Pastor Gary » June 8th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Jennifer Smith wrote:One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?


I am not sure why you find that a problem. ??? The 450 foot length is pretty commonly accepted:

"Genesis 6:14-18. The deliverance was to be by means of an ark, a flat-bottomed rectangular vessel 450 long, 75 wide, and 45 high, with a displacement of some 43,300 tons."
(Merrill F. Unger, Archaeology and the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1954, pp. 59-60)

Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

deb
Da Bomb!
Posts: 837
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 8:34 am
Location: USA,Virginia

Postby deb » June 9th, 2007, 12:07 am

PLUS - it had more than one level "...with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

User avatar
RamboPreacher
RamboPreacher
Posts: 12355
Joined: July 17th, 2004, 5:41 pm
Location: USA, Texas

Re: No conflict

Postby RamboPreacher » June 9th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:...
Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!
eating each other wouldn't be a problem for God, especially if you followed some creationists theories that say that all animals were herbivorous prior to the flood. :)
Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling

User avatar
Jennifer Smith
Moderator
Posts: 3745
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 11:40 am
Location: USA,Indiana

Re: No conflict

Postby Jennifer Smith » June 10th, 2007, 12:00 pm

Pastor Gary wrote:
Jennifer Smith wrote:One thing I noticed, is that their Ark History factbook on their website thing made mention that the ark was about 450 feet long and then directly after that mentioned that there were about 1.5 million species. Hmm, almost makes you wonder if they are poking fun there or trying to cast a shadow of doubt?


I am not sure why you find that a problem. ??? The 450 foot length is pretty commonly accepted:

"Genesis 6:14-18. The deliverance was to be by means of an ark, a flat-bottomed rectangular vessel 450 long, 75 wide, and 45 high, with a displacement of some 43,300 tons."
(Merrill F. Unger, Archaeology and the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1954, pp. 59-60)

Think about all the species: ants, fleas, flies, gnats, roaches, spiders, worms, canaries, hummingbirds… you could get all of those + a hundred more in a space the size of a breadbox, if you could keep them from eating one another. :lol: 450 feet is the length of a football field and a half!


I just thought it interesting they mentioned the number of the species.
It doesn't cause doubt in my mind, but I wonder about the average person who hears those two statements alone!

The cubit may have been bigger than ours since it was based on the length of the arm and Creation scientists believe that people were larger then. Also (i said this on the other thread) species is not the same as "kinds" either. There are many variations in each "kind" but they did not all need to be on the ark!

Many of the animals could have been "infants" too-- they would sleep more and take up less space. :)

I don't have a problem with them mentioning it.. but it did strike me as funny!
As I said, I'm still skeptical. I'm not about to make friends with Hollywood or help them sell tickets to their "big movie" :D until I know who and what is behind it and know that there is something of redeeming value to it! But that's just me. :)

Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:
..I press on to take hold of that

for which Christ took hold of me.

-Phil 3:12

User avatar
teach
I can see clearly now!
Posts: 2829
Joined: April 25th, 2006, 6:14 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby teach » June 10th, 2007, 12:22 pm

we are doing the ark almighty thing at my church. I think it is great. Because of it, I will be able to get help moving some furniture!

wendy k

User avatar
TW
Established Member
Posts: 8866
Joined: November 4th, 2004, 3:38 pm
Location: USA,Georgia
Contact:

Re: No conflict

Postby TW » June 10th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Jennifer Smith wrote:Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:



What a novel idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:


TW
Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

My blog - http://theoldman.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Mike Vande
I like flapjacks.
Posts: 3859
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:22 pm
Location: USA,Kansas

Re: No conflict

Postby Mike Vande » June 11th, 2007, 2:34 am

TW wrote:
Jennifer Smith wrote:Maybe I'll go see it for myself and then maybe quit griping about it! :lol:



What a novel idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:


TW


Well, we'ver never done it that way before... 8)
Why is it that bad decisions seem to make to most interesting testimonies?


Return to “Entertainment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Login  •  Register