WWJB? (That is not a typo)

A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

What is your response to this?

Close the church and meet at a beach?? You people are heathens!
4
22%
I am not sure how I feel about that.
1
6%
I wish I could join you.
13
72%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

WWJB? (That is not a typo)

Postby Pastor Gary » July 3rd, 2004, 1:32 pm

WWJB?
Where Would Jesus Be?

This Sunday is July 4th, one of the major holidays in America for fun and family activities. We know from experience in Hawaii where most of the people will be... at the BEACH. The 4th of July weekend is probably one of THE popular days for cookouts and beach park outings.

So we have to ask ourselves: if Jesus walked the earth in 2004 America, where do you think He would be on the 4th? I think the answer to that is pretty obvious... Jesus would be where the people will be, AT THE BEACH! The church is not a building or a specific meeting place, the church is people, you and me, wherever we are. On the 4th of July the church should be where the people are -- AT THE BEACH.

That's why Windward Worship Center will have the doors closed tomorrow and we will will meet under a picnic tent at the beach park. I will preach in T-shirt and shorts and some in the congregation will be in swimsuits, and the CHURCH will go to the PEOPLE instead of waiting for the people to come to the church.

And Jesus said He'd be there too.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Sherry
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:13 pm
Location: USA,Texas
Contact:

Postby Sherry » July 3rd, 2004, 2:01 pm

That's my kinda church!!! Have a fun day!

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5044
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 6:58 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby Ilovebigcats » July 3rd, 2004, 2:52 pm

I didn't vote....

According to your story of your area... I agree Jesus would probably be at the beach... I don't know about a pair of shorts and a boogie board though... :lol:

Here he would be in the highways and hedges compelling people to come to him, where ever he chose to gather them all. Church, park, in the street, or in the woods.

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Why?

Postby Pastor Gary » July 3rd, 2004, 3:05 pm

Ilovecats wrote:According to your story of your area... I agree Jesus would probably be at the beach... I don't know about a pair of shorts and a boogie board though... :lol:


Why?
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5044
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 6:58 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby Ilovebigcats » July 3rd, 2004, 3:12 pm

Just a funny visual....
Don't try and bait me Pastor G... 8)

On my MSN avitar I have Jesus holding a package of mentos cause he's the freshmaker. It's weird but funny.
I think Jesus would be there for the souls not the water. IMHO.
You might get to see a multiplying of the burgers and dogs though... that would be cool.

If you were trying to get me into the shorts issue I would but I enjoy my time here and am affraid of the attack from some. :lol: However if you really want to go there I can but remember I am entitled to my opinion as much as you. I am not judgemental like what I come out of. It's your choice. I can't say what God has told you. You would not offend me preaching in your shorts and T. I wouldn't think twice about it. For me and my family though, we will be covered ankle to neck. 8)

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5044
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 6:58 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby Ilovebigcats » July 3rd, 2004, 3:14 pm

and YES... before I get asked, Caetie was covered ankle to neck swimming today. :lol: She was with just girls and we don't have bathing suits. :?

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Touchy, are we?

Postby Pastor Gary » July 3rd, 2004, 4:01 pm

My, we are touchy today...
Ilovecats wrote:Don't try and bait me Pastor G... 8)


I didn't realize "why?" was baiting. Thought that was called dialog.

Ilovecats wrote:I think Jesus would be there for the souls not the water. IMHO.


Maybe so. Fact is, I can't even recall the last time I was in the ocean. I am not much of a swimmer, and I burn like a white boy. We are having church at the beach FOLLOWED by a picnic. I may fall asleep under the tent, or I may paly in the water with the kids.

Ilovecats wrote:You might get to see a multiplying of the burgers and dogs though... that would be cool.


I am up for that!

Ilovecats wrote:If you were trying to get me into the shorts issue ...


With all due respect, there hasn't been a shorts issue in my world in several decades. You are projecting your issues onto my world, and they are non-issues with me.

Ilovecats wrote:...if you really want to go there I can but remember I am entitled to my opinion as much as you. I am not judgemental like what I come out of. It's your choice.


Look, hon, I am not trying to tackle you and make you wear clothing that violates your conscience -- I honestly don't care if you wear THIS to the beach. Whatever floats your boat.

Ilovecats wrote:You would not offend me preaching in your shorts and T. I wouldn't think twice about it.


You brought it up.

Ilovecats wrote:For me and my family though, we will be covered ankle to neck. 8)


If you feel that's appropriate, enjoy.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Ilovebigcats
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5044
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 6:58 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby Ilovebigcats » July 3rd, 2004, 4:11 pm

I think you got the touchy person mixed up with yourself. I wasn't touchy at all. I could care less whether you was "baiting" me or not. I made a joke about shorts and a boggie board and you asked why. Why did you ask why? You usually don't respond much to me at all so I thought it curious. If I seemed defensive I am not. I didn't project my beliefs on you at all. I just stated my opinion, which I do have a right to do and have. I didn't accuse you of trying to project your beach going, short wearing views on myself. Your the pastor of your church do what you will. We do the same. It would be nice to just be able to have fellowship. Why so touchy?

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

Okay

Postby Pastor Gary » July 3rd, 2004, 5:11 pm

Ilovecats wrote:I think you got the touchy person mixed up with yourself. I wasn't touchy at all.


Okay. Drop it. You don't see that you raised the issue, so never mind. Sorry your daughter got burned.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Postby Paully_44 » July 3rd, 2004, 7:09 pm

I skewed the poll. I voted for heathens when I meant to say, "I'd join in"

I wonder how dazed and confused many would be if we could actually see how Jesus would minister in this day and age.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
AndyG
700+ Posts
Posts: 798
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 5:05 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby AndyG » July 4th, 2004, 9:50 am

Paully_44 wrote:I wonder how dazed and confused many would be if we could actually see how Jesus would minister in this day and age.


Well, I'm sure of one thing. No matter how "good" our services seem to be, I doubt Jesus would ever come.

'cept maybe to run people out with a whip :lol:
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
- Abraham Lincoln

Image

mavislb
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 363
Joined: November 13th, 2003, 2:38 pm
Location: USA,Kansas

Postby mavislb » July 4th, 2004, 3:05 pm

Actually we were scheduled to have service at church this morning but found ourselves without electricity due to a storm at 6:30 AM. It just returned at 6:00 PM. So we have been without electricity for about 11 hours today. But then it appears around town most people were out cleaning up the downed trees and limbs, except the ones that fell on cars. They probably need to wait for the insurance adjusters first. Anyway, glad to have the A/C back and be able to cook other than on the grill. So Jesus probably would have been outside helping move lots and lots of trees today.

User avatar
James
Ranking in the posts...
Ranking in the posts...
Posts: 375
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 6:04 am
Location: USA,Texas

Postby James » July 5th, 2004, 2:53 am

I do think that Jesus might be found at the beach, helping with the clean-up, watching the fireworks while hearing all the "Ooohs" and "Aahh's", or even at my own backyard barbecue. I also think His dress would be somewhat contemporary (shorts? Maybe. I don't know). Actually, whereever His people are, He is there, too. Doesn't His word state that He would be with us always?
James

When you have nothing left but God, you have enough to start again.

User avatar
Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---
Posts: 5168
Joined: February 3rd, 2003, 10:04 am
Location: USA,Kentucky
Contact:

Re: WWJB? (That is not a typo)

Postby Pastor Bill » July 5th, 2004, 5:43 am

Pastor Gary wrote:...and we will will meet under a picnic tent at the beach park....


WHAT? you didn't have them row you out a little ways in a boat! :wink:

Sounds like a great service and outreach opportunity.

James wrote:Actually, whereever His people are, He is there, too. Doesn't His word state that He would be with us always?


Yes, it says:

Matthew 28:20 wrote:and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.


and that's why I don't do heights! :roll:

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Postby Billy n NC » July 5th, 2004, 5:46 am

Okay Pastor G.. How was the Beach Service..

For our inquiring minds.. lol

Billy n NC
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb


Return to “Jude 2 General Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Login  •  Register