Tape Ministry

Ideas, trends, staff needs, equipment... all the things related to church leadership, pastoring and operations. (Combining the contents of several older forums.)

Moderators: Pastor Gary, Jennifer Smith, Billy n NC, justsam, pastorables, darylscook

User avatar
Poimen
What's next?
Posts: 3403
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 1:49 pm
Location: USA, Alabama

Tape Ministry

Postby Poimen » October 22nd, 2004, 1:58 pm

hey Guys,

I'm looking to start a cost efficient tape ministry. Any tips, etc.

Also I'm looking to find a way to begin recording messages to save as an audio file for listening on-line via my website. Can somebody walk me through the basics???

Thanks
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

What our guys are doing

Postby Pastor Gary » October 22nd, 2004, 3:41 pm

One of our techie guys brings his Windows laptop, patches into the mic input jack from the soundboard, and uses THIS SOFTWARE to record the service to a file, and burn it to CD. (He has internal CD burner.) We also accept requests for copies of those CD's from people who want to send it to a friend or re-listen later. We request a $3 donation, but the rule is no request is denied for lack of money. The $3 just goes into a kitty to replace blank CD's, upgrade software, and provide the freebies.

An alternative software is http://audacity.sourceforge.net/windows.php but we have never tried it and can't vouch for it.

We have not made the leap to fancy printed labels, jewel box cases, etc. These are just home-made burned CD's labeled with a sharpie marker.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Re: Tape Ministry

Postby Billy n NC » October 22nd, 2004, 7:58 pm

Poimen wrote:hey Guys,

I'm looking to start a cost efficient tape ministry. Any tips, etc.

Also I'm looking to find a way to begin recording messages to save as an audio file for listening on-line via my website. Can somebody walk me through the basics???

Thanks


Check this website out for purchasing Blank tapes/labels etc and blank cds etc..

http://www.kingdom.com/

I have purchased from them several occasions.. They even have some great prices on that includes preprinted generic labels.. ie will have your church name on them but not the date/sermon title etc..

Check this out at Radio Shack..

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=15-1172

Here is the manual for the product..

http://www.radioshack.com/images/Produc ... 5-1172.pdf

I have one of these and they come in very handy..

Come out of the TAPE OUT of your Sound Board and go in the Audio in fo this device

Then you can send audio to your tape deck, Computer , VCR.. it has 4 outputs..

I have to admit I record on Video right now but have done Cassette.. I am planning to get into recording MP3 soon but just have not taken the time to research the software side of things..

Pastor Gary's software suggestion looks interesting.. Joey mentioned some other software in another thread here in Creative Ministries..


It also supports SVideo and RCA Video

I have used it to dub video... Video Camera OUT to VCR IN.. VCR OUT to the IN of this A/V Distribution Amplifier Then come out the each of the output channels into another VCR IN ( 1,2,3 or 4 of them ) and make 1 master and up to 4 copies at one time..


A Church can get into video recording each service for around 500 bucks now . Get a Canon DV80 Camera for $350 bucks and a hifi VCR for 75 - 100 bucks and a 13 inch tv for $100. Set the VCR on SLP and get 6-8 hours on a tape. Dont Record on the Camera but directly to VCR.

Use the A/V DA above and had 4 VCRs and you can have 5 copies each immediatley after service.

I started this several years ago.. I have tapes stacked up in my Sound Booth Closet.. going back for maybe 10 years.. One of these days I am going to be blessed with a video editing suite and pull some things out..

Here is the reason I do this.. A Deacon of our church passed away and one of his sons for months after his death would come ask if I had any of his dads sermons etc on video .. at that time I did not.. I thought about that and came up with the VCR / Camera recording plan.. Record everything on Video for aoubt a $1 a week.. 2 hours Sunday AM, 2 hours Sunday evening and 2 hours Wednesday eveing on one tape...

Just some things to talk about..
Let me know if I can help with other questions or maybe I have just given you a lot more questions..

Billy n NC
Billy Broach
Ebroach Services
http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/

Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes

Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

User avatar
Poimen
What's next?
Posts: 3403
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 1:49 pm
Location: USA, Alabama

Postby Poimen » October 22nd, 2004, 9:11 pm

I like the fact that VHS and casste are so cheap now. :lol:

But I don't find VHS as a prcatical means for the peole in our church, much less our communities. CD is probably better. Most everybody has or has access to a cdrom/pcn etc.

But I still like the idea. What is the comparison with doing digital recording... so as to have the files availble all form the same camera? Can I do that? Can I digital record and use that to record for online viewing, burning CDs and producing VHS?

Can I do those and strip the audio out for making casset tapes and/or audio files for online listening?

My former local church had a tape deck that recorded service onto a master. The the master could spit out a copy in no time. They literally could mass produce cassetts of the pastor's sermon while we fellwoshipped as we left the sancturary. They had sopme generic lables, and oodles of tapes for hardly any cost. i think the machine was about 100.00 dollars. Otherwise the church is hardly out any money.

Me and the pastor had brainstormed about using such (recorded services/messages/songs etc) as a modern tract. I've still got the idea in my head but am not ready for that step just yet. Can you imagine handing out a cost effective cd that a person can take home and pop in the pc and see some cool outakes form service(s), a message, skit, etc. besides some other interactive content which could be incorporated. Sure if someone is not interested it may wind up in the trash anyhow. But it probably has a higher rate of use/reach than the printed tract nowadays. :wink:

Anyhow, the tape/CD thing could be a blessing to our church people, nursing home ministry, etc. besides I could double the recordings (I think) for use online as well.

Thanks for the info.
Poimen
Bro. Christopher

"I wish a buck was still silver, it was back when the country was strong." -- The Hag

User avatar
Psalm91
Needs a hobby
Posts: 92
Joined: August 6th, 2004, 7:31 am
Location: USA,Tennessee

Postby Psalm91 » October 23rd, 2004, 4:34 am

Oh man! Now I get what you guys are talking about. you actually making a Dvd of the service???
That would be so awsome for those who aren't able to go anywhere!
Wow!
We have an Inspiron 5100 Dell laptap and a small sound system.
What would we need to get to hook all that together to make a DVD?
Some kind of cable and the software Bro. Gary linked too?
Thanks!
All my hopes, my dreams and my plans are wrapped up in His hands.

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Postby Billy n NC » October 23rd, 2004, 7:02 am

Poimen Said..

My former local church had a tape deck that recorded service onto a master. The the master could spit out a copy in no time. They literally could mass produce cassetts of the pastor's sermon while we fellwoshipped as we left the sancturary. They had sopme generic lables, and oodles of tapes for hardly any cost. i think the machine was about 100.00 dollars. Otherwise the church is hardly out any money


Not sure where they got that but.. Yes you can buy a Dual Tape Cassette player/recorder and some even do high speed but that still takes 30 mins to copy a 1 hour service.. What you need is a high speed copier.. and those cost way more that 100.00.

Mono 1 to 1 copier is over 500 bucks..

http://www.kingdom.com/short-desc.asp?go=87

Mono 1 to 3 copier is over $1000.00

http://www.kingdom.com/short-desc.asp?go=86

100.00 may have been a very very Used copier..

May want to check on that.


Check into that CANON DV Camera..I am looking at it to purchase for myself..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... pe=product

$330.00

IEEE 1394-compliant DV in/out terminal for fast, simple transfers to your PC for viewing or editing

They have some USB DV Camcorders also.. Firewire cards can be added to desktops for about 30-40 bucks.

PS you will need lots and lots.. did I say lots of Diskspace for recording DV..

I will admit Digital Video is my weak link.. in Media Technology.. but I am Itching to get into it.. I welcome the advice of some of those who already use these products.


And Last but not least there are some Hardware Cards that you can install in a computer and then convert not only Digital Camcorder Video but Analog (VHS) into the computer.. Pinnacle has a product that I am looking at .. I am drooling over this one.. It comes with the hardware and Adobe Software that would allow full video editing of recordings..
Card and software cost about $1000. Thats whyI am drooling..LOL.

Billy n NC
Billy Broach

Ebroach Services

http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/



Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes



Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb

User avatar
AndyG
700+ Posts
Posts: 798
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 5:05 am
Location: USA,Tennessee
Contact:

Postby AndyG » October 25th, 2004, 6:31 am

Hey, Bill

Talk to my brother Pat at Winston-Salem. He TEACHES video editing ect in school and has info you would not believe.

BTW, he's done several videos for the WS church and they look great.
In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
- Mark Twain

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.
- Abraham Lincoln

Image

User avatar
Billy n NC
Moderator
Posts: 2694
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 8:39 am
Location: USA,NorthCarolina
Contact:

Postby Billy n NC » October 25th, 2004, 10:08 am

This Statement is partially wrong..

And Last but not least there are some Hardware Cards that you can install in a computer and then convert not only Digital Camcorder Video but Analog (VHS) into the computer.. Pinnacle has a product that I am looking at .. I am drooling over this one.. It comes with the hardware and Adobe Software that would allow full video editing of recordings..
Card and software cost about $1000. Thats whyI am drooling..LOL.


Pinnacle does not have the hardware I am looking at its Matrox..

as seen here

http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rt ... o/home.cfm

Retails for about $1000..

Still drooling..

Thanks Andyg. I will have to chat with Pat.. did not know he taught it.

Billy N NC
Billy Broach

Ebroach Services

http://www.ebroach.net/mediatech/



Bringing Media Technologies to God's Church Familes



Skype Name is ebroachnnc AIM is broachb


Return to “Preacher/Teacher Pages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login  •  Register