RENT - The Movie

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

RENT - The Movie

Postby Paully_44 » November 9th, 2005, 2:18 pm

Rent

Anyone else heard of this movie? My wife & saw the play as it toured the country a few years back. My first experience with seeing a Broadway musical and I loved it. Not sure if the movie can do the play justice. The soundtrack from the play was pretty good also.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
Sherry
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:13 pm
Location: USA,Texas
Contact:

Postby Sherry » November 9th, 2005, 2:28 pm

I've been looking forward to the movie....the previews look great!

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

I like this song…

Postby Pastor Gary » November 9th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
dolfan
Established Member
Posts: 8016
Joined: March 17th, 2004, 1:25 pm
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Postby dolfan » November 9th, 2005, 2:49 pm

I'd like to see the play. I saw Phantom of the Opera in Atlanta years ago, and when the movie came out ... well. I'm sure Rent will be a good film, but the experience is just so different on stage.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

User avatar
Shellie
Site Admin
Posts: 8750
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 4:24 pm
Location: USA,Florida
Contact:

Postby Shellie » November 9th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here.

I went to see the play with a girlfriend of mine. Her husband had won some free tickets from a radio show. Signs on the door announced that because of the nature and content of the play minors were not allowed and a full refund for the tickets could be gotten at a ticket window.

Still, I'm not a prude and thought I'd see it anyway.

I noticed a LOT of same sex couples filing around before we were called to our seats.

Before the intermission, my girlfriend and I were BOTH uncomfortable at the offensiveness of this play. We walked out about 30 to 40 minutes into it.

Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw? The one that used the words "G D" quite a few times, promoted a lot of sex, and mocked the virgin birth and abortion?
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

User avatar
Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator
Posts: 10475
Joined: January 28th, 2003, 9:03 pm
Location: USA,Hawaii
Contact:

No idea

Postby Pastor Gary » November 9th, 2005, 4:50 pm

Shellie wrote:Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw? The one that used the words "G D" quite a few times, promoted a lot of sex, and mocked the virgin birth and abortion?


I have no idea... I have never seen the play or read the story, I have only heard pieces of the one song I referenced in a TV promo. If the content is as you have described it, I have zero interest in seeing the movie.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)



"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

User avatar
dolfan
Established Member
Posts: 8016
Joined: March 17th, 2004, 1:25 pm
Location: USA,Alabama
Contact:

Postby dolfan » November 10th, 2005, 9:55 am

Ditto. I didn't know that, either. I just know it got a lot of awards and stuff. Something else I'll never miss!
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

User avatar
Paully_44
Established Member
Posts: 7480
Joined: January 30th, 2003, 4:20 am
Location: USA,Washington

Postby Paully_44 » November 10th, 2005, 10:25 am

Shellie wrote:Again, are we talking about the same "Rent" broadway play that I saw?


I think so.
Let the wild rumpus start!

User avatar
Sherry
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:13 pm
Location: USA,Texas
Contact:

Postby Sherry » November 10th, 2005, 8:19 pm

All I knew about it was that the music was awesome! I didn't know much about the storyline other than it was about struggling artists and I think one of them has AIDS. I remember hearing that Rent was to bring awareness to AIDS, but I wasn't sure how far they went with it.

Personally, I'll see it just because I want to see what all the hoopla is about and then I can form my own opinion. Besides....the music is really good. :wink:

ErinNicole
Needs a LIFE
Posts: 115
Joined: August 30th, 2003, 4:56 am
Location: USA,Illinois
Contact:

Postby ErinNicole » November 18th, 2005, 5:37 pm

I've seen RENT twice...once on Broadway (I sat in the front row) and once in Chicago. For those of you who want to know a little more about it, it's a remake of an old opera called La Boheme. La Boheme was about some young artists living in France struggling with tuberculosis. Jonathan Larson updated it to young artists living in NYC struggling with AIDS and called it RENT. Larson died tragically before the play ever made it to Broadway, it was still just at the NY Theatre Workshop. That's part of what makes RENT such a good play, even if it has some vulgarity. The main message is "No day but today" meaning live each moment as your last. I wish it did not have the underlying gay theme, but that's the way he chose to write it. I choose to focus on the main heterosexual love story. There's another pretty important point about dignity and dying. Since several of the characters have HIV, its a reality that at some point they're going to die. If I had to give it a rating, I'd say its PG-13. It has some vulgarity and sex in it, but vulgarity and sex are in about 98% of the movies out there. I've been waiting for them to make this a movie since 2001. The movie also has most of the original Broadway cast which is incredible. I think only two characters are new. I'm looking forward to it.

-Erin

User avatar
Sherry
Moderator
Posts: 5731
Joined: January 29th, 2003, 6:13 pm
Location: USA,Texas
Contact:

Postby Sherry » November 19th, 2005, 7:37 am

Thanks Erin ....I am going to see it, I'll let you know what I think after I do. :wink: I saw more previews at the show the other night....it does look really good.


Return to “Entertainment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login  •  Register